Friday, October 5

Web Journaling
There's too much pressure to having a journal on the Web. It makes me self-conscious, knowing that others could read this, but then isn't that the point of putting it on the Web? I'm not brave enough to have it out there for the world to read, like some of my friends do with their Web logs. So for now, I'll keep it hidden here in the back of our wedding Web site, and I won't tell many about it.

NaNoWriMo
I'm preparing for the NaNoWriMo by trying to write more. I sat down for half an hour the other night and churned out a free association, and found that just be typing (no thinking involved, thank you) that I could produce 1800 words. So if I can dedicate some time to it each night, I should be able to walk away at the end of the month with a novel. Adam signed up to do it as well, which will be a real help if we're both working on it at the same time--I won't be tempted away from my computer. Downside, of course, is that in this household, there's only one laptop and it's his. He insists on owning two computers, although I think his dream is to have a household full of computers. I was talking about buying a new computer and he was very excited at the idea of turning my old one into a server. He was disappointed when I decided to hold off--saving up for too many other things at the moment. One thing I need is a quieter keyboard. He complains mine makes too much noise. I can't wait till we can afford a house with two offices in it.

Running
I'm debating whether or not I want to try the Seattle Half Marathon this year. I haven't been focused on running lately. We still wake up at 5:30 every morning, but since Adam is busy working on grad school applications, I tend to have to exercise by myself, which makes it more boring. My workouts tend to be harder, but shorter, although I am swimming about once a week, which feels great. Being in the pool is incredibly soothing, and usually after about a 1/2 mile swim, I feel human. Swimming is the only sport where I sometimes think I could fall asleep in the middle of it. With work the way it is, exercise has become that much more important to my life. But the Seattle Half Marathon (and no way would I consider the marathon--way too many hills for a first marathon. If I do get the urge, I'd need to start on a "fast" course) is really hilly, and without enough practice, it would be torture. It's the weekend after Thanksgiving so I still have time to get myself moving.

You Know, Down There
Last night we went to see The Vagina Monologues. Really incredible piece with three women reading monologues about (is it that obvious?) vaginas. Whenever I see shows like that or David Sedaris (one of the best books of last year was Me Talk Pretty One Day; a must-read), it motivates me to write, but also depresses me because I wonder if I'll ever be able to devote myself to writing the way I'd like to be writing. Writing squeezed in--while trying also to get myself in shape and hold down a stressful job and be on the YLD board and participate in my writing group and my now apparently defunct book group and a social life--doesn't always seem to work (which is why this novel in a month is such a fantastic idea for me). I know I need to prioritize writing more, but it's hard. It's similar to exercise: When you're on a roll, you just keep the momentum going. But if you stop for any reason, that's it your screwed and it's hard to work up the energy to get back to it. Anyway, the show itself, for the most part, was hilarious, although some were hard to take (one about a woman who was raped in Kosovo). Two of the women were fantastic--when they put on their accents, they transformed themselves without props or scenery or anything into these other women. The third was Anne Wilson (of the singing group Heart), and I'm not sure why she was there unless it was to have a name on the program or to allow the other two to make a couple of Heart jokes, but I think the program would have been better withouther. She wasn't any good at the accents and when she read, it was, as Adam put it, in an almost condescending tone. But as detrimental to the piece as she was, the show was still worth the trip. Adam was a trouper for going--he was definitely outnumbered. If 10% of the audience was male, I'd be surprised. Went we most of the girl group--Julie, Juliewa, Plauer, and Sandra, and of course, where there's Sandra, there's the Love Muscle. He seemed to do pretty well too amidst the estrofest. I know Adam will make up for the evening with his testosterone overload this weekend with the boys in Vegas. This will be his bachelor party weekend more or less. He knows the rules--he can look but he can't touch. And he better not gamble away the wedding fund.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home