Friday, August 30

Swing and Sway

Ah, what will I write about when there are no more HBS orientation events left? But then, I guess that's why I joined the Partner's Club.

Tonight was the boat cruise around the Boston harbor. Which would have been a lot more pleasant had it not been raining and about 60 degrees. And if the boat ride had been 1/2 an hour; not three hours (everyone now, "A three hour tour, a three hour tour"). Actually, the whole thing was a lot more pleasant than I would have thought--we ran into the one cool couple we've met before and I hung out with some of Adam's classmates who are really nice. Three people told me what a great job Adam did giving a presentation in class. Of course, three other people came up to me and asked, "Is it true you won't let Adam wear khaki pants with blue shirts?" Apparently, for their presentation, they had all wanted to dress in the uniform, but Adam refused on the grounds that I forbade it. So they all wore jeans and white shirts. He's a good boy, that Adam.

But then there are those folks who just make me want to scream. Like the ones who have obviously forgotten my name (no matter how many times we've been introduced) and they don't admit it. One guy was introducing his girlfriend, and he introduced the woman sitting to the left of me and Adam sitting to the right of me. Skipped me completely but did mention me, "Adam and his wife moved here from Seattle." Adam got only one smack tonight for referring to me as "his wife." He did quite well otherwise. And then there's the guy sitting across from us who directs his entire conversation to Adam, even though I'm there and actively participating by asking questions.

We hung out downstairs sitting in a booth the entire night. Upstairs the music was playing really loudly. Not surprisingly, we sat at a table where everyone had a boyfriend or girlfriend. When we walked upstairs to leave, there were three huge circles formed of human bodies, swaying drunkenly to Billy Joel's "The Piano Man." Everyone was singing and swaying, swaying and singing. It was just like prom, but way more pathetic. As I whispered to Adam, "You're wishing you were single right now, aren't you?" we made a run for it. I bet they are all still singing and swaying, although most of them have probably moved on to their dorm rooms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home