Wednesday, May 26

The DFC

Doodles has a fan club. An honest-to-goodness fan club, and I'm not even in it. There are exactly two members in the Doodles Fan Club: Hannah and Wendy. The both readily agree that they're his number one fans although there's debate about who's president and who's vice-president of the club. Since Wendy will be getting married in two months, Hannah pretty much gets the presidency by default as it's been decided (again, I had no part in this) that Doodles is Hannah's boyfriend and future husband. Hannah is hilarious. Every time I see here, she'll say something like, "Can you believe he's already seven months, two weeks, and three days old?" She can come up with Doodle's age faster than I can. I heard from a reliable source that at an event that I was not even in a twenty-mile radius of, Wendy pointed out a baby to Hannah, who said, "Doodle's way cuter."

So here's the thing: I try to restrain myself from the constant public fawning about Doodles. I understand that no one (well, except for the DFC) cares about the minutiae of Doodles life like I do. While I'm constantly thinking, "He did the cutest thing yesterday!" what I'm saying is, "Did you see the season finale of The O.C.?" I follow the advice given on Irony Central, which orders parents to limit themselves to three pictures of their child when they go out sans child. I don't (outside of family) volunteer what Doodles is doing.

So it was with great amusement that I attended a farewell party at BU for a former colleague, and I watched a poor unsuspecting woman's eyes glaze over as Hannah and Wendy kept interrupting each other to tell her just how adorable Doodles is, and oh, he did the cutest thing with his head, it's sort of like a head bob, no, no, it's like this! And then he was picking up Cheerios! I'd never seen him pick up Cheerios before! He sort of grabbed a whole pile into his hand and he tried to shove them in his mouth at once. And... I could see this poor woman desperately looking elsewhere to get away.

dig the blonde!I will say, though, that it does seem to be a mutual admiration society. Doodles is smitten with Hannah. When we go out, he can't keep his eyes off of her. We were at yet another BU farewell lunch (yes another; don't ask!) and Doodles spent the entire hour and a half with eyes glued on Hannah despite the cajoling and teasing by the ten other people at the table. The only thing that could distract him for a few moments was the overhead lights (for some reason, Doodles is fascinated by overhead lights and exit signs; and he goes absolutely wild for ceiling fans!). Can you believe it? Nine months old and already hot for the shiksas!

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniella said...

ah, just wait till he meets me... I'm the Baby Whisperer!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat, well except for the official fan club. I think my child is fascinating. I could talk about him all day long. I have to keep myself from only posting about him as much as I'd like to. The irony is before I had him I couldn't stand people who only talk about their kids. I guess I have been brought over to the darkside.

Alisa
www.halffullhalfempty.com/blog

12:12 AM  
Blogger Zenchick said...

awww...I'm not a mommy (unless you count the feline) but I love to see proud mommies!!!

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home