Wednesday, November 26

On the Road Again

Last weekend, the Doodlebug had many more firsts. His first road trip. His first time on a ferry. It was even going to be his first time at a wedding, however, during his first time in a church for the wedding rehearsal, he didn't do so well. I think he had a flashback to his last religious ceremony and was afraid something was going to be cut off his body. I explained to him that this was a Catholic church and that not only did they not cut things off, but they gave out crackers and juice, but he just wasn't buying it. So the Doodlebug and I decided to bail on the Long Island wedding and instead, he had his first train ride into the city where we met Tweeds and the Claire Bear for lunch. The Doodlebug wasn't on his best behavior, but it wasn't a complete disaster. I put him in the Baby Bjorn as we all walked from Penn Station to Chelsea Market. The Claire Bear wheeled around the stroller empty and she was just a step ahead of me and Tweeds. It was terribly amusing watching folks peer into the stroller and then look confused at the crazy lady pushing it.

We did make it back for the reception. This wedding reception was like nothing I've seen before. They had enough food that I wished I had starved myself for the preceding week. The Doodlebug came with us, as the bride and groom had considerately arranged for babysitters on the premises. Of course, the babysitters thought Adam and I were a bit overprotective. We've never left him with nonfamily members before, and it was a bit much for me. "You have Adam's cell phone number? Call the instant the Doodlebug wakes up." These women were quite nice and they were incredibly responsive to the kids. We picked up the Doodlebug when he woke up, but he was obviously overtired and the loud band music wasn't helping him. Finally, we brought him back upstairs where he patiently sat in his car carrier as I tried to put him to sleep. The babysitters kept saying, "You know we can do that." I eventually gave in, although I made Adam go back upstairs every twenty minutes to check on the baby. I would have gone myself but there was food to be eaten.

Did I mention the food? Instead of a sit-down dinner, there were many rooms of food stations. The first part of the evening was of course the appetizer stations. While Adam partook in many foods such as cheese, meats, veggies, and assorted hors d'ouevres, I parked myself in front of the oyster and clam bar, which was oh-so-conveniently located next to the caviar bar. I kept meaning to venture to other areas, but the lure of Beluga kept calling me back. The main course stations were also excellent--I did try the lamb, the pasta, and the salad, although I passed on the stir fry, the crepes, the tenderloin, the pork, and the fish--once again the majority of the time I was loading up at the sushi bar. But, of course, who cares about dinner? Who even cares about the cake, which was surprisingly yummy with a delish frosting. Who cares about the seven kinds of cake laid out, the piles of cookies, the coffee bar with liquors and port. Because really all that matters was the chocolate fountain. Yes, a whole fountain of chocolate. Three tiers of flowing chocolate just waiting for my skewers filled with strawberries and marshmallows (because I saw no point in wasting the chocolate on all the other kinds of fruit there). I was full. It was late. We had to go. But I needed just one more go at the chocolate fountain. I'm trying to convince Adam that when we get around to our kitchen remodel, we need to include a chocolate foutain in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home