Wednesday, March 31

One Two Buckle My Shoe

In one area, I'm completely deficient as a female: I don't get shoes. Never have. It was the one element of Sex in the City that never made sense to me. Shoes are the things I'm required to wear when I go out in public to keep the bottoms of my feet from getting dirty. I hate heels. I don't long for strappy little sandals. I think spending ridiculous amounts of money (meaning more than, say $30) on something that clomps along the ground is ludicrous. In December 2001, I bought an ugly pair of gray Merrells that were the most comfortable shoes I had ever put on to wear in the Fernely warehouse while working the holiday rush. (And apparently I'm in the minority in thinking they're ugly.) I love those shoes. I wear those shoes nonstop. When I was working at BU, I had to wear actual shoes. I have no shame in the fact that I shopped for said shoes at Payless (although, truth be told, I had a couple of good pairs from Nordstrom that I bought before interviewing for jobs in Boston). Then, toward the end of pregnancy, none of my shoes fit. I could only wear open backed shoes because my feet had swollen to elephantine proportions. On the weekends, I could happily wear my comfy Merrells. And then once Doodles was born, it was Merrells every day. As you can imagine, shoes that have been worn that much are probably in need of replacement. Actually, they needed to be replaced a couple of years ago, but I haven't been able to find the exact pair again, so I stick with the same pair. But they are definitely on their last legs (so to speak). So this past weekend when I was at the outlet malls in Kittery, Maine, looking for clothing for Doodles, I bought, on a whim, a pair of comfy red mules at the Hanna Anderson outlet. So now I own a second pair of comfy shoes. But when I got home, it occurred to me, I have no idea what--besides white and black--I can wear red shoes with. I asked Adam what to wear him with--he has more fashion credentials than I do--and he said, "Yeah, I don't know what you do with red." So I have a lovely pair of comfy shoes that are going to sit at the bottom of my closet. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home