Wednesday, November 17

Short Takes

This month's postings will be light, as I'm saving my words for Nanowrimo. Here's what's on my mind, though:
--Words I never thought I'd say: Doodles, how many times do I have to tell you, you're only allowed to flush the toilet once a day!
--There really aren't enough opportunities in life to wear one's medals. There should be more medal-wearing occasions.
--In case anyone was wondering, Doodles is not yet ready for finger painting. Let's just say it wasn't a pretty site and if you're wondering why Doodles's a*ss (I mean tushie) is multi-hued, well, you can fill in the blanks.
--In reading an article in the New York Times Style Section, I learned that bars in Minneapolis are now legally allowed to stay open until 2 a.m., although most still close at 1 a.m. My first thought was, "Now why would anyone need to be drinking at 2 a.m.?" when it suddenly occured to me that I spent eight years living in Seattle bitching and moaning that bars closed at the freakin' early hour of 2 a.m. It is absolutely inconceivable to me that at some point in my life, I thought 2 a.m. was an acceptable hour to be out and about and drinking.
--First trip to the E.R. for Doodles and we all survived. Wooden slide at the toddler gym, an overexcited boy lunging for the slide, and three stitches after a two-hour wait in the E.R. It's official: we're in toddlerdom.
--We've got words! Okay, just two of them, but Doodles now says "apple" and "baby." Of course since he won't eat apples and we really don't know many babies younger than him, these aren't the most helpful words. I'm been working on more useful words, but so far, no success. But I keep trying! Before you know it, Doodles will be saying words like "Veggie Booty" and "Mommy needs a martini."
--We're also getting a lot of "yeahs." Hence yesterday's conversation: "Are you going to go into the car seat nicely?" "Yeah." "Really? Do you have any idea what I just asked?" "Yeah." "Are you going to fly to the moon so you can have green cheese for dinner?" "Yeah."
--The only thing better than the "yeah"s are the "uh oh"s. These are usually following something he intentionally did like when his sippy cup is being lobbed across the room. "Uh oh." Charming. Utterly charming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home