Wednesday, December 29

End-of-year Meme

I don't usually go for these things, but it seems like such a nice way to round up the year. I found this meme in Frog's blog

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Run a marathon. Raise a child.

2. Did you keep your new year?s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I actually did keep a couple of new year's resolutions. And yet I didn't keep even more. I will indeed make more this year. But I won't share them. They're just for me.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
So many people close to me gave birth! Lots of new babies everywhere! Rachel, J., Simon just to name a few (why are some people abbreviated and others spelled out? Those spelled out are those I'm pretty darn sure don't mind being named in this blog. People with initials are the ones I'm not sure about and that I haven't cleared name usage).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Adam's great uncle passed away.

5. What countries did you visit?
For the first year in probably a very, very long time, I didn't make my way out of the U.S.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Enough sleep. I would kill to wake up in the morning feeling refreshed.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 7: Marathon day!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing the marathon (do you see a theme here).

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting as far as I wanted in my noveling.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A groin pull from the marathon. A zillion colds.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
It wasn't me; it was Adam. But since we have joint checking, by default I bought it too. Doodles wouldn't let us talk on our cell phones without having a meltdown. He wanted our phones so badly. So Adam bought on e-bay, for about $10, a fake cell phone that looks exactly like ours. It's one of the ones that stores use to sell phones. It's enabled us to use our phones again.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Doodles and Adam. One for being a wonder to watch and the other for being a stellar father and husband. Every day and in every way. Well, almost every day.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I keep politics out of this blog. But the answer to this question would be politically fueled, so I'll skip it.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage. Doodles's college account. My large darjeeling tea habit at Diesel Cafe. Running gear.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The marathon. Big time. And finally getting my tushie in gear on my writing again.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
"Itsy-Bitsy Spider"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier (baby blues completely gone!)
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner (still battling pregnancy weight, but not like I was a year ago)
c) richer or poorer? Richer (Adam's out of school and working again!)

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing. Too many days at the beginning of the year, I sat at the computer paralyzed and ended up cleaning the house. The writing didn't kick in until the end of the year.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasting time. Watching reality TV. Which I guess is redundant.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Watching a rented movie and eating Chinese food, I suppose.

21. Did you fall in love in 2004?
I didn't fall in love in 2004 but I did fall farther in love with Adam and Doodles. Does that count?

22. How many one-night stands?
Unless you're talking about with a hot fudge sundae, I'd have to say none.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Oh, so many guilty pleasures here! Probably The O.C. Maybe Desperate Housewives.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I'm sure there are people I dislike, but I'm working on not hating. So let's say, no.

25. What was the best book you read?
I liked so many books! I really enjoyed a recent one I read, Devil in the Details. However, I think my real favorite of the year was The Rebbe's Army. I comment on both of them in my book/movie blog. I need to say, though, that the book I'm currently reading, A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews, seems to have the potential of blowing the other two away. I'll have to confirm, though, when I've finished it.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Music? What's that? All of my music these days is either jazz, which isn't a new discovery, and kid's music.

27. What did you want and get?
Time to write.

28. What did you want and not get?
Rocky Road candy. I ask for it every year around the holidays and I never get it.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Tough one. Was it Lost in Translation? Spellbound? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Tough call. But I think I'm going to have to go with Saved!.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 36 and I had scrumptious dinner with my hubby that included many yummy martinis at Chez Henri.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery. Having a live-in housekeeper. A personal chef. Seriously, this past year--without getting too--but I don't think this past year could have been more satisfying. I feel like I'm really close to where I've always wanted to be. Surprisingly, I've never had as much time to write as I do now. On most days, I adore motherhood, and on the other days, well, it's still better than anything else I could be doing; I've never liked working in an office nine to five. My relationship with my husband is happy and healthy. I get to succumb to all my Martha fantasies and yet I feel like I will finish my novel. I've got balance. Granted, it hasn't always been easy, and this past year has thrown many challenges my way, but over all, there's nothing that could have significantly added to it.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Baggy jeans and Old Navy shirts.

33. What kept you sane?
My mom friends (especially G. and J.). Saturday mornings at Diesel. Doodles's wonderful day care teachers. Netflix. Long naps (Doodles's, not mine). Adam and Doodles time alone in the wee morning hours. Late night tea in cozy pjs. Long runs.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
This answer hasn't changed in nearly ten years: Jude Law.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage. Absolutely. I really don't get that this is an issue. I'm so pro gay marriage, and I can't comprehend why anyone would be against it!

36. Who did you miss?
My friends in Seattle. I also missed my family more than in the past because I feel like they're missing out on so much of Doodles's life, and I wish they lived closer. Besides, I'd love the free babysitting.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
While I've met so many wonderful people this past year, hands down it has to be my friend J.L. (O's mom) She has become an integral part of my life and she's not just a mom friend, but a friend period.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004
The ability to ignore a stinky diaper is a highly underrated skill.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
"Mommies are women, women with children
Busy with children and things that they do
There are a lot of things a lot of mommies can do"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home