Wednesday, February 28

A Doldrumy Day

Last week was school vacation week, which meant all regular activities (like music class and ice skating class) were canceled and I needed to come up with a game plan. On the days that Pie had day care, Doodles and I had a lot of fun. It's weird going out with him now as I no longer need three bags of paraphernalia. He doesn't need diapers. He eats real food (sort of). I don't need a collection of distracting toys. The days out with Doodles and my regular Friday-morning alone time with Pie makes me realize that, yes I love my children, but I sure like them better individually. I actually have fun when I'm alone with either one of them. It's when I have to deal with two of them that I go insane.

So last Thursday I was desperately trying to come up with something for us to do. I at least knew we had lunch with Adam to get us out of the house, but I wanted something to occupy our morning. It was pretty cold and muddy and icy out, but I came up with a few ideas.

Me to Doodles: So, this morning, we can go see the cows and pigs at Drumlin Farm. We can go to a greenhouse and look at plants inside. We can just go out and take a walk. Which of those would you like to do?
Doodles: I don't want to do any of that.
Me: What do you want to do?
Doodles: Um, what are my choices?
Me: [Sigh]We can go see the cows and pigs at Drumlin Farm. We can go to a greenhouse and look at plants inside. We can just go out and take a walk.
Doodles: No. Um, we can go to Starbucks!
Me: No.
Doodles: A toy store?
Me: No.
Doodles: I want to get my hair cut.

At which point I call our salon (yes, he gets his hair cut at my salon), and find out that his stylist doesn't come in till 12:30.

Me: Diana isn't cutting hair this morning.
Doodles: Oh. Is someone else there?
Me: Yes.
Doodles: Then someone else can cut my hair.
Me: No, let's wait for Diana.
Doodles: So what are we going to do?

I ended up building a cave out of chairs and sheets with limited success, because Doodles wanted to hide in the cave and Pie just wanted to rip the sheets down. I found that if I hid out in my office, I could pretend I didn't hear the "Nooooo! Noooo, Pie! Noooo, don't do that!" and the maniacal laughter from her.

Ah, just think. Less than two months till spring vacation in April. Gee, I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home