Wednesday, July 25

Birthday Blues Redux

Shhh, I'm hiding in my office. In about 45 minutes, I get to go out to dinner with a girlfriend--no kids!--but for now, I'm trying to recover from the last three hours when my children broke me. Broke me, I tell you!

The Pie and Doodles both have birthdays coming up at the end of August. They'll be having a joint birthday party, as no way am I going through party hell twice in the same month. Doodles has had his theme picked out for months now: Egypt's pyramids (and he's always very specific to say, "Egypt," which is odd given that I don't think he knows about the Aztec pyramids or any other pyramids for that fact).

When he was turning two, the theme of his party was obvious: Doodles was way into his guitar. He played that thing every day; he was completely obsessed about it! But Pie doesn't have any obsessions the same way (unless you include tormenting me as one of her obsessions, but really, I have no desire to throw a "Watch Mommy Go Insane!" party). She has a lot of mild interests, but nothing that sticks. I'm trying to stay away from the branded party, although truth be told, she is rather fond of Hello Kitty. At first I thought we'd do a beach themed party. I ran it past her a few times, and she seemed to like the idea. But then the two of us were in Target the other day, and they had a ton of train stuff, some of it quite cheap. "Trains, trains, trains!!" she exclaimed with glee. It had crossed my mind to throw her a train party, but I hesitated because I wasn't sure if she genuinely liked trains or just played with them because that was what Doodles played with.

Me: Do you want to have a train birthday, Pie?
Pie: Yes! Train birthday! Train

I stocked up the cart and throughout our shopping, I would periodically check in with her.

Me: Pie, do you want a beach birthday or a train birthday?
Pie: Train birthday!
Me [just making sure the order wasn't influencing her answer]: Do you want a train birthday or a beach birthday?
Pie: Train birthday!

Yeah! Theme chosen by Pie. I bought a bunch of party favors and thought about the train cake I'm going to make her. We finally finished up at Target and I'm putting Pie into her car seat.

Me: How exciting! Pie is going to have a train birthday!
Pie [looking at me like I'm nuts]: No! No trains! Butterfly birthday!

Sigh. At least I still have the receipts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home