Wednesday, July 30

Random Crazy Kidness

Whenever people hear that my kids are up at 5 or 5:30 in the morning, they get this horrified expression on their faces and say, "How can you stand that?" Even when I explain, they don't quite believe me. But the honest to God's truth is that we end up waking up our kids. I'm out of bed before the alarm (set for either 5 or 5:30) every day. I can't remember the last time my alarm actually went off. And with our creaky house, Adam and/or I always end up waking at least one child up. This morning, I got out of bed at 4:57 a.m. I went into the downstairs bathroom to change, but before I was out, I heard thump, thump, thump on the stairs in a way that was either Adam sleepwalking drunk or a child. It was Pie.

Me: Pie! What are you doing up? It's still night.
Pie: I was all done.
Me: But look, it's still dark!
Pie heads to the window. The tiniest inkling of dawn is far away, but visible. She exclaims, in a very loud voice: Look, Mommy! It's not dark! There's light out there!

The plus side of this is between camp and a playdate after camp, she'll be exhausted and she's been known to fall asleep while watching her show, often at 5 p.m. I expect that will be the case tonight.

(And why was I up at 4:57 a.m.? My boot camp went for a 5 1/2 mile trail run--what an incredible way to start the day, running through the woods. It's really a much tougher workout than straight running. I can generally run 10 miles at a 9:25 pace; here I did 5.5 at about an 11-minute pace. Hills, navigating tree roots and rocks, mud--all slow down the pace. But it's such a serene day to start the day that I came home even more energized than I usually do after boot camp.)

Doodles slept a smidgen later, but not enough to keep him up very late tonight.

The two of them have been killing me lately, but in a fun way. Doodles is still in his independence phase, but it's gotten a lot easier to tolerate. He's mellowing some, I'm mellowing some. Pie can still unleash a wicked temper tantrum, but they're fewer and farther between. But they are a trip together.

Doodles is completely laid back and Pie is fairly high strung (hmmm, I wonder which parent each of them takes after!). Pie will get really worked up about something, and Doodles is just, "Whatever!" Like yesterday at ice skating. Doodles always wears the dark blue gloves; Pie wears the light blue. Pie began to have an absolute fit. "I want the other blue gloves. The OTHER blue gloves!" I suggested she take a deep breath and simply ask her brother.

Pie: [taking deep gasping breaths till her voice is normal] Doodles?
Doodles: Yeah?
Pie: Doodles, can we trade mittens?
Doodles, shrugging: Sure!

Nine times out of ten, Pie wants what Doodles has. And nine times out of ten, he'll swap with her. Especially because of this, I try to be especially respectful when he doesn't want to swap or share. And generally, I can tell who's the instigator in any problem.

For instance, yesterday, there was a battle over a drum. I'm 99.9% sure that Doodles had it first, and Pie didn't want him to have it. I caught the two of them struggling with it. In true Solomon's wisdom fashion, I told them, "If you guys can't figure a way to make this work, I'm going to put the drum into time out."

Pie immediately latched on. "Yes! Drum in time out! Drum in time out!"

So of course I handed the drum to Doodles. Later I came out when I heard Pie yelling, "Close the gate! Close the gate!" I found the drum on the steps and Pie trying to close the bottom gate. We never close that gate except when someone is sitting on the stairs in time out. She was determined to give that drum a time out one way or another!

Of course the biggest problem with have is with... smooches! Doodles is an affectionate kid and he smooches Pie. Pie sometimes likes it, sometimes not. I heard blood-curdling screams two days ago, and I ran, figuring someone had impaled himself or something equally horrific.

Pie, trying to talk in the sobs: Doodles smoooo me! He smoooo me!
Me: He smushed you? That wasn't very nice.
Take Pie to Doodles.
Me: Where did you smush her?
Doodles: Right here [points to the top of his head]
Me: You smushed her head?
Doodles: Smooched.
Me: Oh! You smooched her!
Nods from everyone.
Pie: He smooched me! He smooched me!
Me: Well, there's only one thing you can do!
Pie looks at me expectantly.
Me: Get him back! If he smooches you, you should smooch him back! Even more!
Pie instantly stops crying.
Pie: Yeah!!!
Pie goes running after Doodles, smooching him all over his head while he mock cries.

Crisis averted. Peace reclaimed. Maybe I should be sent abroad as a peace envoy. I've got loads of experience.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home