Wednesday, July 15

A Day Off

At 4 a.m. a little voice spoke into my ear. "Mommy, my head hurts and I feel heavy." A few cuddles and a Motrin, later, the boy was fast asleep. Luckily, he doesn't technically have a fever, a fever being 100.4 and when he woke, he had 100.3 (no, really!). The benefit of this being that he can have a sick day today, and as long as his temperature doesn't go up .1, I can send him to camp tomorrow guilt-free (kids must be fever-free for 24 hours before being allowed back at camp or school).

I think his body is just demanding a little downtime. It's been go go go for him. Camp is a loooong day for him. The bus picks him up at 8:30 and drops him back off at 4:30. Everyday he has Instructional Swim and Free Swim. Yesterday he had boating and dance and street hockey and music and a activity with his whole unit. I think he's plum worn out.

While it's disappointing to me when I lose a day of writing to a sick kid, it's not a big deal--not like I have a deadline or anything--and it's days like this that I feel downright giddy about not working anymore. A whole morning alone with my baby boy!

"What should we do?" I ask him.

"Um, I don't feel well." Doodles gives a little moan for emphasis.

Me: Well, we can play a game. How about Go Fish?
Doodles: I can't because I'm sick.
Me: Actually Go Fish is perfect when you're sick. Nice and mellow.
Doodles: No, we better not. Because then I'll get my germs on the card and when Pie plays with the cards, she'll get sick.
Me: Um, no, actually it's okay. We can play Go Fish.
Doodles: No, I don't think so. I need to do something I can do from the couch.
Me: Okay, how about another game? We can play on the couch.
Doodles: Nah.
Me: Should we finish the Encyclopedia Brown book?
Doodles: I don't think so.
Me [with a hunch where this is going]: How about I pull out the colored pencils and our drawing pads. We can do some drawing.
Doodles: Um, too much energy.
Me: Do you have any ideas?
Doodles: No. Well...
Me: Yes?
Doodles: I suppose I could watch some TV.

Sigh. So while I may not get to work on my writing today (and, yes, I am writing! Just ask my poor beleaguered readers who have been so fabulous in giving me feedback. I actually have even more to send them, but I fear for their free time... I owe those three women more martinis than I can count at this point. I'm feeling optimistic about having a really solid draft done by the end of the summer), this is a good catch-up day--blog, order photos, all the things I can do on a computer next to a mopey child watching SpongeBob. (I told him, "This is a one time thing. I disapprove of SpongeBob. I will never record SpongeBob. I will deny allowing you to watch SpongeBob. Enjoy.") I will do all I can, without getting off the couch. Can someone please bring me the bonbons?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home