Sunday, November 1

Kosher Is As Kosher Does

When we were in Israel, we had an amazing youth counselor, Miriam. Miriam is a warm American-born, Israeli-raised Orthodox young woman. She's visiting the Boston area, staying with her grandparents and I invited her over for lunch. I went to the Stop and Shop in the next town over, where there's a kosher bakery. I picked up fruit and paper plates and plastic cutlery because, as any reader of this blog knows, we don't keep a kosher home. If anything, we keep treif. Not that we eat it that often--for health reasons I actually like to serve as little meat as possible. I can't remember the last time we had pork. Actually I do. It was Adam's birthday. Last December.

Because Miriam is studying Jewish education in America, I invited her to observe one of the Hebrew school classes at our conservative synagogue. So after, she said hi to the kids and followed us in her own car back to our house. In our car, Doodles asked me, "Is Miriam kosher?"

"Yes," I replied.

"So does that mean we'll be having a kosher lunch?"

Between our synagogue, our trip to Israel, dinners at our rabbis' houses, and hosting a synagogue event at our house, the boy is well aware of the basic tenants of kashrut. "Yes," I said, and he asked no more.

Back at the house, Miriam and I sit down and start to catch up while we wait for Adam to return with Starbucks (which is kosher). Doodles walks into the family room where we're chatting. Sweet as can be, he gives us a big smile. "Mom?" he asks nicely.

"Yes, Sweetie?"

With a big grin, he asks me, "Where's the bacon?"

That kid. That's all I can really say. That kid.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger nInA said...

Hm, I see a political career in his future :)

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home