Wednesday, October 16

Whine, Whine, Whine

My weblog seems to be generating complaints these days. Both in the form of "Go back to the old format" (which is fine, but tell me why) and the "Why didn't you write about what we did together?" First of all, I don't always feel like writing everything I do. Second of all, maybe you weren't all that interesting. Third of all, this weblog is a privilege, not a right, so deal.

As long as I'm on the weblog topic, I've tried to make text a little more readable by making it wider on the page. Does anyone know how to make my icons appear just between the days and not between each entry?

Writing for Dollars

I turned in two writing assignments yesterday. Talk about nerve-wracking. I'm a writer. I've been working as a writer for a while now (since, what, 1998?) and I have a master's degree in creative writing. Yet, it doesn't help. Whenever I turn in a piece for a new editor, there's that gut-wrenching feeling of "What if they hate it?" Getting used to a new style, a new way of doing things is difficult, and waiting for that initial feedback is torture. Every editor employs a different style of editing and each one takes adjusting to. This invariably passes. Once you know what to expect it's easier--although turning in assignments is never actually easy. But in the meantime, it's just a lot of deep breaths.

Om Om Om

Speaking of deep breaths, I find that when I'm doing yoga at home, instead of being of aware of the alignment of the body and of the flow of breath through my body, all I can think about is how much more dirt is on the floor compared to the last time I did yoga. And since I never clean, I always have that thought.

Boston Bloggers

There's a whole community of them! Boston Blogs. I found it out when the woman who runs it e-mailed me to help out with Boston Nanowrimo stuff. I am not alone in my geekdom!

The Fashionable CWITs

The fashion show was last night. I had a lovely dinner with Kara beforehand, and since that's the kindest thing I can say about the evening, I'll just end that there.

Fingers Are Ready

I've started getting bits and pieces of ideas for this year's novel. I should make an outline (from the FAQ: "Outlines are encouraged. Notes are encouraged. Partially written chapters are punishable by death"), but I don't seem to be. Mainly because my ideas are too amorphous. I don't actually have a beginning or a middle or an end. I am jotting notes here and there--the trick is to then find them when I'm ready to start writing. But I'm eager to start. Which is a good sign. I just need to make sure the house is properly stocked with bourbon before I start. Because who can write at 3 a.m. without a glass of bourbon nearby (preferably Knob Creek or Maker's Mark)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home