Monday, December 2

T-Day

The Thanksgiving meal was truly fabulousness. Really. A turkey extravaganza at its best. And I'm not just saying that because I did 95% of the cooking. I'm saying it because it's fact (and those of who were there should now chime in and attest to the fabulosity of the meal). Right down to the Martha-inspired centerpieces and the pretty ribbon napkin rings. The only casualty of the evening--surprisingly enough--was the sweet potatoes, not that anyone was ever the wiser. Turns out putting marshmallows on mashed sweet potatoes is overdressing them--at least it is when you forget to pull said sweet potatoes out from under the broiler until the smoke alarm gently suggests that perhaps it is time. But a neat scoop of the knife and all incriminating evidence was down the garbage disposal, and we had lovely naked sweet potatoes. Oh, and the bean casserole didn't turn out well. I really wanted to do the white-trash thang and make green bean casserole with the mushroom soup and the fried onions (we were deprived of this American delicacy as children), but even though I cooked it the required length of time, the beans remained frozen. Luckily, I had a secondary green bean dish (with fresh green beans, garlic, and parmesan. Mmmm!) that was just fine. Plus the nuts, olives, and St. Andre cheese, the warm spinach dip, the hot apple cider, the mashed potatoes, the sweet potatoes, the stuffing, the homemade rolls, the salad, the cranberry sauce, the apple pie, the pumpkin pie, the truffles, and the ice cream. And many thanks to Shannon who successfully wrangled the turkey wings into their full upright and locked position after I threw up my hands in frustration after that turkey just didn't want to play with me. But I got even with it. I smeared it with butter and thyme, shoved lemons and onions up its butt, and ate it for dinner. Oh yes I did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home