Wednesday, October 29

Meta-Blogging

I let the two-year anniversary of this blog pass with nary a comment, so I shall rectify that now: I've been blogging for two years. There you go.

I started blogging because Eugene and Adam did and if they could do it, so could I. In the beginning, I was so self-conscious about what I wrote. Now, it's just a free for all. Adam does have veto rights; if I write something I think he might find offensive or embarrassing to him, then he gets to look at it before it's published. To his credit, he's never used that veto power.

It seems in the grand scheme of things, my blog is old. Daniella points to a blog survey that reports "66.0% of surveyed blogs had not been updated in two months" (which makes my once a week not so bad). Most blogs, it seems, are abandoned after a bit (although, if you're like Mike, you may declare you're abandoning only to cave to the pressure of friends to reactivate). My blog is definitely more of an online diary (created for one of the "nanoaudiences" the survey describes) than the traditional news-gathering blog, but I resist their definition that "the typical blog is written by a teenage girl who uses it twice a month to update her friends and classmates on happenings in her life. It will be written very informally (often in "unicase": long stretches of lowercase with ALL CAPS used for emphasis) with slang spellings, yet will not be as informal as instant messaging conversations (which are riddled with typos and abbreviations). Underneath the iceberg, blogging is a social phenomenon: persistent messaging for young adults."

The bottom line is I enjoy blogging. I enjoy reading other people's blogs when I can and it's always a thrill to discover a new blog. When blogging stops being fun, I'll stop blogging.

One thing, though, is that to blog is to open yourself to criticism. I'm not the best with the criticism, so I often tune it out. However, that's not going to stop me from bashing Eugene for what he wrote in his blog in his critique of bad cell phone manners: "People who make time to see you and then spend half that time on the phone talking to other people. Yes, I'm having a lot of fun sitting here listening to one half of your conversation. Why don't you get out of here and join them and then call me on the cell phone so I can multi-task while you waste someone else's time?" This makes me think fondly of the days when Weegie and I would go see movies on a regular basis. We had tickets together to a French Film Noir series at the Seattle Art Museum. Before going to see Purple Noon (and man is that a great film!) we went for dinner at a Japanese restaurant near Pike Place Market. Just seconds after the waiter had taken our order, with nary an "excuse me" or "this will just be a moment," Weegie whips out his cell phone to call... his entertainment-system salesman. Yes, that's right, I ate my negisaba roll listening to Weegie discuss--for a solid twenty minutes--woofers (or was it subwoofers--I can't remember) with a friggin' salesman while I'm just sitting there. It was the rudest thing I had ever seen, and I feel validated that Weegie is finally acknowledging it as rude behavior. Yes, Weegie does have the most impressive entertainment system I've ever seen, but I couldn't give a hoot about the woofers. Are people who don't know Eugene going to care about this post? Not a whit. Is it wrong to be using my blog for a revenge post now? Probably. But damn do I feel better now.

Back to my usual blogging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home