Wednesday, March 31

Sunny Days

Speaking of Sesame Street, this year is the show's 35th anniversary. I watched this show from the start. My father likes to say that the root of my woes is Sesame Street. He says that my mother went out one day in 1969 and heard about this fabulous new kids show called Sesame Street on PBS. My mom made sure I watched it the next day. However, the show was already on the letter B and the number 2, and my father says I never quite caught up. (I just discovered that SS was originally developed to "educate poor children who didn't go to preschool." What a way to find out my family was poor!) Anyway, if you started watching the show when I did, try your hand a the trivia game. I did fine on the old stuff, but didn't know the answers to most of the new things. So much has changed on the Street; I watched just a bit the other day and I barely recognized the old neighborhood! You know, if they put old episodes of SS (and Zoom and Electric Company) on DVD, I bet it would become an instant kids' bestseller as all us parents who grew up on the show buy the real episodes for our children to enjoy (and one of these days I'm going to splurge and get Doodles Songs from the Street: 35 Years of Music [side note: Ursula 1000 does a remix on this album. I went to high school with him! How cool! I wonder if he actually got to hang out with Big Bird and the gang]). In the meantime, I already have the Replay set to record the show's 35th anniversary special so Doodles and I can watch it together. Mr. Hooper lives on in all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home