Wednesday, July 28

The Very Model of a Modern Major-Dad

According to everything I read, Doodles is entering that critical point where language development is beginning. "Keep talking to your child, naming and labeling objects and people--the more you do, the faster your child's vocabulary will grow," Baby Center tells me. Listening to music, reading books, and talking in great detail to him ("Mommy's cutting a red tomato for dinner. Do you see the tomato? What color is the tomato? The tomato is red!") is crucial now.

Those who know me wouldn't think this is a problem, as few people can talk as much as I can. But the thing is, Doodles wears me out! I'm exhausted much of the time, and frankly, I just don't feel like talking. I feel like curling up with a hot cup of Darjeeling tea and a good book.

To supplement this oh-so-important development, I've been playing lots of kid music (he's had a steady stream of grown-up music, but if I can't understand the lyrics, how is he going to get anything out of it?). Only I'm a little tired of the kid music we have. So, I went to the library and checked out a recommended C.D., Ben Rudnick's Fun and Games.

The music isn't my favorite. But it's not horrible and "Sally Salamander" is slightly catching. When it's due back, I'll be ready to return it, but I don't cringe when we play it.

Last Sunday, as a family, we were meeting up with folks. We agreed that we'd bring the bagels. We get in the car, and Adam's driving. Ben Rudnick is on the C.D. player, and I request that the volume be turned up, which Adam does, so it can be heard in the back seat. We get to the bagel place, and I run out to buy the bagels. I get back to the car, and I see Adam quickly fumbling with something on the dashboard. He sits back like he wasn't doing anything, and when I get into the car, "Macaroni and Cheese" is playing.

"Did you change the music while I was gone?"

"Of course!" he responds defensively, as if he knows that he probably shouldn't have, but hasn't a clue why he shouldn't have. I was gone a mere five minutes. Five minutes he couldn't tolerate the music that I've been playing pretty much nonstop for my Doodles (babies, I've read, find comfort in repetition). Five measely minutes.

Does he think I have that music on for my health? Does he think I like it? Am I the only one reading these stupid parenting e-mails? I can't wait till Doodles is old enough for me to play Liz Phair. If I played it now, don't you know that his first words would be "Mamamamama! F**k and run!"

Which isn't completely true. Because I'm pretty sure he already uttered his first word. He's back on his food strike and yesterday when I tried to give him some of his formerly-favorite peas, he distinctly said--yet while managing to keep his lips sealed--"Nonononononono!" That's my boy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brat said...

Try some They Might Be Giants for Doodles... their last album was geared for kids and parents. I think there's a Garcia/Grisman CD out there too that's "not just for kids" or something of that ilk.

Myself, I can't stand the "kid music". Z will continue to get plenty of The Who, Led Zeppelin, Phish, and whatever else mommy and daddy listen to. I mean, I grew up on late 70's music ("If you want my body, and you think I'm sexy, come on honey let me knowwwwww!") and I turned out ... um... more or less okay :)

And please, ignore the "Brat" blog thing, it was a Blogger experiment gone horribly awry, but it's the only way I can leave comments for you anymore!
~Christine

10:08 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

My daughter got the CD "Whaddaya Think of That?" by Laurie Berkner for her birthday. I don't think she's a very well-known singer, but it's a great, catchy CD. The clincher is that there's a song called "Doodlebug," so it's a must-listen for you guys.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home