Thursday, October 7

The Ultimate New England Fall

Last Saturday, Doodles, Adam, and I headed up to Hollis, New Hampshire, so I could run the Applefest Half Marathon. It's amazing how much my running has improved. So much so that when Adam and I went out for dinner on the Friday before, I thought, "Hey, I can have a martini tonight because I'm only running 13 miles tomorrow."

Early Saturday I met up with my Boston Fit buddies and enjoyed the foggy, cool morning. I had my special Mocha Chocolate energy bar from Starbucks that I'd been saving just for that morning. I took one bite from it... before Doodles grabbed it from my hands. Ah, yes. Candy corn... and coffee. What a well-rounded diet! I managed to get some of it from him so I wasn't running completely empty. The route was quite hilly but very scenic, even though we were definitely running through Republican country. I've started a new strategy of walking through the water stops, and it's increased my time to the point where I completed the half in a personal record: 2:11:53 (a 10:04 minute mile pace).

After the race, we grabbed a quick lunch and met some friends for apple picking. Doodles, as it turns out, isn't the biggest fan of the fruit, although points to him for trying. He did enjoy riding on Adam's back and he had a great time playing with the pumpkins and wagons at the fruit stand.

Despite it being a nap-free day (and truth be told, I needed the nap more than Doodles), it turned out being the perfect fall day. This was the kind of day that makes me think I could live out here for good. The colors, the cool air, the smell of the leaves.

Now all I've got to do is figure out what to do with this bag o'apples we've got sitting in the kitchen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Martini and candy corn. Sell your secret to Runner's World this instant!

Congrats on the PB!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home