Wednesday, February 2

New Doodle Tricks

He's wearing me out. Simply wearing me out. So many new milestones. So few of them restful.
--Playgroup at our house, Doodles, as usual, climbs the bottom rung of his high chair so he can latch the straps. One of the mothers says, "Is he allowed to do that?" "Oh, yeah," I reassure. "He can't climb up." In two seconds the kid had scaled the high chair and was happily climbing up the seat back. You know, whenever I say things like that, they bite me in the butt. You'd think I could harness this power and make it work for me. But apparently it only works selectively. For instance, just now I said out loud to no one, "Oh Doodles never does the dishes by himself." And lo and behold, the dishes are still not done.
--At the same playgroup, we had our first experience of Doodles trying to grab a toy from a child. Doodles pulled, the child resisted. Doodles had a full-scale meltdown of screams and lying on the floor hollering. It was so attractive.
--A positive thing: he now points. If you ask where something is in a book, he'll now point at it. He also has started putting things away. In music class, he happily put the instruments back in the bin.
--He's becoming a creature of habit. For the longest time, we couldn't get him to wear a hat. Finally, we won the battle with his red Old Navy winter hat. My in-laws came over and brought him an adorable new LL Bean winter hat. Very cute. Doodles had fun playing with it. And then it came time for all of us to go out to lunch. We put on Doodles's shoes. We put on his jacket. And then we put on his new hat. Or tried to. The kid ripped it off his head the second we got it on and dug into the pile of our jackets until he found his red hat. And refused to go out without the red hat on. I'm starting to see shades of my father in him, not necessarily a good thing... (Peter, don't even ask why that's like you. You are a creature of habit. Mom, back me up on this.)
--He says "ashes, ashes, dooooowwwwn!" when he wants to play Ring Around the Rosie. Although he hasn't mastered walking in the circle. Or falling down (on purpose; he is a pro on the accidental falling).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home