Wednesday, April 20

So Sad

Our mother's helper is on school vacation week, so this week's blog is being brought to you by the letter "J" and the number 9.

--We're having a really tough time coming up with a name for the baby. Oh, we're pretty much decided on what her name will be post-utero. What we're struggling with is her in-utero name. Doodles was so obviously and completely a Brown Brown and it flowed naturally. Deucette doesn't flow. Neither do any of the other names we've chosen. Through one of those long succession of this name leads to that name, I started calling her Bubbles, which I actually really liked. But the minute Doodles heard "Bubbles," he became overly excited, shouting out, "Bubbles! Bubbles!" It took much consternation on his part before I realized, "Oh, he wants me to blow bubbles." Since I refuse to blow bubbles every time I mention the name of his sister, that's out. So for now, our little blob is nameless. So sad.

--Doodles has a doll. Now that I'm showing, I went to Toys R Us and picked him out a baby doll. I saw one I really liked, complete with pacifier, bib, bottle and whatnot. And then I saw the price tag. $49.95. For a lousy hunk of plastic? Luckily, if you dig deep enough down on the shelves, you can find the no-frills $9.95 doll, which is what Doodles ended up with. He occasionally likes to cuddle the baby and once or twice has given her a kiss, but she's nowhere near as fascinating as his own belly button.

--Speaking of pink, someone in town was giving some toys away, and I went to get some. She had a nice pink tricycle and she said, "Oh, it's pink. You wouldn't be interested in that." I said, "Well, Doodles doesn't know the difference [and if you ask him the color of anything right now, he'll say "red" no matter what the color] and if it makes you feel better, the next one will be a girl." But it struck me as odd that in this day an age anyone would even care anymore about that pink/blue thing.

--While I was in Toys R Us, I noticed that they were having a sale on sundresses. There were some really cute sundresses. I was totally tempted to buy a whole bunch of them because, you know, by next summer, sundresses may not exist anymore and then my poor unnamed daughter will not only be unnamed, she'll be naked too. So sad. I was able to refrain, though. I've only bought one flowered onesie at Costco, and that was simply to try and get me into the mind set of "girl." Didn't work.

--I started chatting with a mom on the street, and she asked me, "When are you due?" There was a rather uncomfortable pause as I tried to figure out what the hell she was talking about. Finally, it clicked. "Oh, September 3." Amazing how I can not only forget I'm pregnant but when I do remember, forget that I have this big belly that advertises to the world that I am indeed with child. Hope I remember by the time she is born, because otherwise she'll be unnamed, naked, and left behind at the mall by the mother who forgot about her. So truly sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home