Wednesday, July 13

Sometimes They Surprise You

So, my little baby is my little baby, and it seems he'll stay that way forever. And then he does these things--speak in sentences, play pretend, or come up with an astute observation--and I realize that the babyness really doesn't last for long.

We bought Doodles's big boy bed about two months ago and figured we'd move him into it in February or so, when he's 2 1/2. But on Sunday night, he was having a really hard time settling down in his crib. On a whim, I said, "Doodles, would you like to sleep in your big boy bed?" "Yeah," he replied. Unsure about the whole thing, I picked him up and put him in the bed. He immediately settled in. I gave him his Curious George doll, he said, "Monkey! Monkey!" and then got himself ready to sleep. It took him a bit to fall asleep, but he didn't get up once. Nervously, I left him there, closed the bathroom door, found a nightlight for the hallway, and closed the gate at the top of the stairs. And the next thing we knew, Doodles was sleeping. In a big boy bed! The odd thing is, Doodles won't get out of bed by himself. He still calls for us as if he were sleeping in his crib!

Anyway, he's now been in his big boy bed for three nights (including two naps) and it seems to have stuck. I imagine there could be some regressing when Sugar Face shows up, but who knew this would be so easy? These kids, they can really surprise you with what they simply take in stride.

And my little baby? He's still my little baby. He's just my little baby in a big boy bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger RUbirdie said...

That's wonderful!
My daughter, thankfully, was the same way. I think she only tried to venture out once and when she heard me thundering down the hallway she jumped back in.
She was about 2 1/2 though when we finally made the switch. Doodles is way ahead of the game!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home