Wednesday, November 29

Blog Blahs

I know it's my blog day, but my eyes are bleary from work, you know, the real work, the kind that involves earning money and the kind that involves raising my two children. My two children who are equally amazing and frustrating these days. My daughter who is trying her damnedest to add in extra breastfeeds a day (I don't think so!) and throwing world-class tantrums when I don't give in. My daughter who now screeches when happy, which means whenever she's trying to throw herself off the couch, bite her mother, or attack her brother from behind. I'm think of buying Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic, but the thought of reading one more child-raising book just makes dizzy with ennui.

But just when I want to pull my hair out, she'll do something so incredibly cool, it stops my heart for just a second. The other night, I was finishing Doodles's bedtime routine. He was feeling cranky and just wanted to get to bed. I asked him: "Do you want to kiss Daddy and Sweetie good night?" He said no, but Sweetie, who was sitting next to us looking at books, heard me. She promptly got up, walked over to the chair, and pursed her little lips, leaning into Doodles. She tried twice to kiss him, and when he refused, she turned to me and gave me kisses. Job done, she turned right back around and resumed reading her books.

A random digression: we learned that Pie is a big fan of cranberry sauce. And turkey. And mashed potatoes. And stuffing. And carrots. And green beans. And pumpkin cake. And Doodles? Doodles had one roll and Oatmeal Squares and a little vanilla ice cream for his Thanksgiving dinner.

Now back to my children. Specifically, my son. My increasingly verbal son who also knows how to break my heart. Apropos of nothing the other day, he said: "I cry a lot at school."
Me: You do?
Doodles: Yes. I cry at school.
Me: Why do you cry at school?
Doodles: I cry because I want to be with my mommy.
Me: What do your teachers do when you cry?
Doodles: They say, "Don't cry. Don't cry!"
Me: They do?
Doodles: Yes. They say, "Don't cry! Your mommy will come back for you."
Me: And don't I always come back for you?
Doodles: Yes. I don't cry as much.

Those two amaze me. I'm not sure where these little creatures came from but I'm in complete awe of them. Yet they wear me out so that come Wednesday night, blogging is an effort. So now I give in and I'm off to bed. Good night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right there with ya on that one. Yawn.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home