Wednesday, May 2

A Cheeky Girl

Little Miss Pie has had a bad cough. A dry cough. She wakes up a bunch at night with it. She has it during the day, but we wrote it off because half the time she seems to be faking the cough. Doodles coughs for real. Pie mimics. Doodles mimics back. A little coughing fit, half real, half fake ensues.

Except that the other night, Pie coughed her way through the night. And when Adam went to retrieve her in the morning, there was blood all over her sheets. Three large patches of blood. Like the size of a CD. So of course I got those two out of the door in record time to make the walk-in at our doctor's office. (Have I ever told you how much I love our peditrician? Her office has a walk-in every morning at 8 a.m. where you can just show up for all those little ailments that have cropped up in the night; perfect for those day care days where you just don't know if your child is healthy enough to go in.) Doodles was thrilled to go: he adores the toys there.

So one of the docs sees Pie right away. I tell him about the cough. The nose that's been running forever. The pools of blood in her crib. "Mmm hmm," he says. "Mmm hmmm." He has on a large "One Fish Two Fish" tie and Pie is fascinated by it. He's quite good with her and even though he's not Pie's normal doctor, she's taken with him and his silly antics.

I'm waiting. TB? Pneumonia? A scary diseases I've never heard of?

The verdict finally comes: "Well," he says, "she definitely has a little bit of a wheeze to her. I can give her something for the cough if it's bugging her too much. Her chest, though, sounds clear."

"What about the blood?" I ask.

"Take a look at this," he says, taking a tongue depressor to her mouth. "See that?" He points to the inside of her cheek.

"Eww! What is that?" My daughter is diseased. She has a nasty growth inside her mouth. What kind of evil oral disease has my daughter wrought?

The doctor breaks it to me: "She's been chewing on the inside of the cheek. The blood is from her cheek."

I know that girl will eat anything, but this is ridiculous! We'll start giving her a bone to chew on before she goes to bed to help keep her from cannibalizing herself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home