Wednesday, July 25

Random Conversation of the Week

Doodles: Mommy, when I grow up, can I be pharaoh?
Me: No, sweetie. There are no pharaohs anymore.
Doodles: Why not?
Me: The pharaohs all died long ago. Egypt is now ruled by a president.
Doodles: What's a president?
Me: He's someone chosen by the people to run a country [Note: I am aware that Egypt's president wasn't exactly chosen by the people, but cut me some slack people! The kid isn't even four yet]. We have a president!
Doodles: Who's our president?
Me: George Bush.
Doodles: Who's Egypt's president?
Me: Hosni Mubarak.
Doodles: Is George Bush a boy or a girl?
Me: A boy.
Doodles: Is Hosni Mubarah a boy or a girl?
Me: A boy.
Doodles: Are all presidents boys?
Me: It's happened that all of the U.S.'s presidents have been boys but they don't have to be boys. Girls can be president too.
Doodles: Oh. Can I meet Hosni Mubarak?
Me: What?
Doodles: I want to meet Hosni Mubarak. Can I meet him?
Me: Oh, sweetie, that's not going to happen.
Doodles: Why not?
Me: Hosni Mubarak is very busy running Egypt! He doesn't have time to meet with us, I'm afraid.
Doodles: Oh. Can I have a Popsicle?

3 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Ok, I'm impressed that you know the president of Egypt's name.
I must go hang my head in shame now...

4:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

It was pure dumb luck. Had he asked about pretty much any other country in the world, I would never have known. The fact is, Hosni Mubarak has been president since the early '80s and I went to Egypt in the mid-'90s. If they ever have a real election, I'll be in the dark again, I promise!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I totally love that convo!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home