Wednesday, April 30

Two Times the Fun

The upsides of two kids just two years apart have proven themselves to be many. They can entertain themselves for a good hour playing hide-and-go-see or--their new favorite instigated by Pie (ugh)--wedding. They share dress-up shoes and games. Doodles is just enough older that he can help out when Pie's being difficult--getting on her shoes or convincing her to eat. But it's not all fun and games.

The main downside, that I can see so far, to having kids just two years apart is we seem to have hit this perfect storm of question asking. Doodles is at the stage when he has a genuine curiosity about, oh, everything, and Pie just likes to hear herself talk. And God forbid they ever ask when I'm at home and can look answers up or demonstrate something. Take this one fifteen-minute stroller ride to the park:

Pie: What are bicycles made out of?
Me: Um, I think mostly metal and plastic.
Doodles: Wood and metal. Bikes have wood.
Me: I don't think many bikes are made of wood anymore. In the old days the were made of wood, but now I think they're primarily metal and plastic.
Doodles: No, I know they're made out of wood and metal. The wood is inside the metal because it's stronger.
Me: Actually, metal is stronger than wood.
Doodles: Why is metal stronger than wood?
Me: Um. Well. It just is.
Doodles: What are houses made out of?
Me: Wood. Bricks. Concrete. Um, I don't know what else.
Pie: What are flags made out of?
Me: Cloth.
Pie: What are cars made out of?
Me: Um, mostly metal and plastic, too, I think.
Doodles: Not wood?
Me: No, not wood.
Doodles: Where do eyeballs come from?
Me: What?
Doodles: Where do eyeballs come from?
Me: What do you mean?
Doodles: Oh, I know. From your head! What makes eyeballs colored?
Me: Um, pigments? I'm not sure.
Pie: Eyeballs! Eyeballs! Where are we going?
Me: To the playground.
Doodles: What are houses made of?
Me: I think we covered that one already.
Doodles: I meant, what are bricks made out of?

There's no avoiding it in the stroller. In the car, though, I have developed the nice little technique of turning the radio up and yelling, "What? I can't hear you! It's so loud in here. Why don't you ask when we get home?"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home