Saturday, August 16

Take a Chance on Her

Last Wednesday, Adam took Doodles to Fenway for a Red Sox game (as you can see from the picture below from last Wednesday). Pie really wanted to go, but Fenway can be a bit of a madhouse and we knew she wouldn't last as long as Doodles could (he actually made it to the end of the sixth inning). So to do something special with her, I decided to take her to the movies. I know what you're thinking. A little Fly Me to the Moon, perhaps? Space Chimps, maybe? Oh, no! you're thinking. Not, not--gasp--Kit Kittredge: An American Girl!

No, of course not, people. What kind of a mother do you think I am? I took her to a much more sensible, appropriate film. We went to see Mamma Mia!. I'm not sure who checks into my diversions blog, but if you did you'll see that Pie's first movie experience a couple of months ago was a complete disaster. For the first 15 minutes of WALL-E she cried. For the next 20 minutes she sat with her head buried in my chest. For the rest of the movie, she slept. So it was with trepidation that we returned to the movies. I've already seen Mamma Mia! and while I wasn't enthralled with it, I did think Pie would really enjoy the singing and dancing. Pie is at the perfect age for it--old enough to be able to sit through a whole movie, but young enough not to ask questions like "Why does she have three daddies? Why doesn't she know which one her daddy is?"

I bought us a popcorn to share, stuck a booster seat next to me, and plopped Pie down. One of the previews looked a little scary, so I said to her, "I think you might not like this preview so I'm going to cover your eyes." She absolutely let me and when I did it one more time later on, she had no complaints.

During the commercials in the beginning, this ad for Sprite came on. Pie was glued to the screen, and I don't know what this means, but 14 seconds into the ad when the guy takes his shirt off, Pie whispered to me, "Mommy! I like this movie!" Maybe I should have covered her eyes for the ad.

Anyway, Pie, it turns out, is a big ABBA fan. She sat through the entire film. At one point, she began yawning, and I said, "Pie, when can leave whenever you want!" "NO!" she whispered back to me. She did move to sit on my lap, but other than that, her eyes never left the screen. I did a lot of check-ins. "Do you like it?" Vigorous nodding. "Are you ready to go?" Vigorous head shakes. At the end of the film, they have two more songs and Pie sat through both of them and was reluctant to leave when it was done. But she did and she's been asking for "movie music" since then.

She doesn't know the name of the movie ("I saw the dancing music movie!") nor does she know what it's about ("It had a wedding! That was my favorite part.) but she definitely she gave it a resounding thumbs up. What else would you expect from Pie! She's a super trooper dancing queen if ever there was one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home