Monday, October 13

The Slow Slug to the Starting Line

I'm just a week away from my race, which means I'm in full-on taper mode. Tapering is when you ease off the running in preparation for the race. I hate tapering. Hate, hate, hate. Tapering plays with your mind, makes you think you're slow. It has you itching to go out for a good, long, hard run. I went out this morning for a "30 minute easy run with 5 pick ups" and all I could think was, "It probably wouldn't hurt me to go just another four miles," but I have to stop myself. This is the one time I also try to really pay attention to what I'm eating, consume lots of veggies and pay attention to my fat and alcohol intake (in other words, no drinking this week), which I know I should be doing all the time, but let's face it, I don't.

My previous marathon PR (personal record) is 4:25:07 in New York in 2006. That's a 10:07 pace. I really want to break the 10-minute-a-mile pace in this marathon, as that's a real psychological block for me. But with that three-week injury, at this point my only goal is to finish uninjured. Taking those weeks off of running really did a psychological number on me. I think breaking the 10-minute block will be like the two-hour half marathon. I couldn't do it. No matter what I just couldn't run faster than a two-hour half marathon. And then, running with a friend, I did in September 2007, and since them, I haven't run over two hours since (I've run a total of five half marathons now under two hours). I think once I break that 10-minute mile, I'll always do it. But until that first time....

So for now I'm thinking fast thoughts. I'm envisioning myself at the finish line, the clock reading 4:20 (which is just under at 10 minute pace). Of course the more I do these ridiculously easy taper runs, the more I long to run Comrades (on an up year, of course). Something about not even breaking a sweat makes me think I can do anything. My ultimate goal with all this running is to run Comrades before my 45th birthday (figuring that five years is enough time to get back on our financial feet after the remodel and that five years from now, I'll be more open to traveling halfway across the world with my children).

10 minute miles? I hope so. And if not, no biggie. It's all just training for Comrades, right? Run, baby, run.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger nInA said...

56 miles ... But I have a feeling you'll do it!
In the mean time, good luck on that race in a weeK!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home