Monday, November 10

The Thanksgiving That Target Forgot...

I am a sucker for holidays. No doubt about it. I love the decorating (both the house and the kids), the food, the crafts--you name it, I like it. And I like all holidays pretty much equally. We obviously don't do Christmas and Easter, but I'll decorate and throw a party for anything else--July 4th? How about a BBQ! Rosh Hashanah? Let's invite all the kids over for apples and honey. Hanukkah? That's our big bash of the year. Many of you longtime readers will remember the long running debate (like here and here) on holiday decorations at our house.

However, in the apartment, the holidays have gotten swallowed a bit. No decorations for Halloween. No inviting classmates over for Rosh Hashanah. There will be no big Hanukkah party. There's no where to hang decorations.

But the one thing I can do is my dishes. I have dishes for every occasion. I put most of our toys, apparently some of my clothes (or else they've just walked off), our TV, our photos, our craft supplies--I put a lot--into storage, except I, of course, kept out the appropriate seasonal plates for the holidays we'd be spending in the apartment. If there's a holiday, I have a plate. And preferably a bowl and cup to go with it.

But the thing is, I owned two turkey plates. And one of them got broke. I won't say by whom (Adam) but it's now broken and I have just one turkey plate. Which is unacceptable.

So Pie and I made the journey to Target to stock up on our turkey supplies. However, Thanksgiving apparently no longer exists at Target. Because at the beginning of November, we've gone straight to Christmas, do not pass Thanksgiving, do not collect any cranberry sauce. Target had preciously one set of wash cloths and a handful of paper plates with a Thanksgiving theme. I was annoyed; Pie was confused. "Where's Thanksgiving? I don't see Thanksgiving!" Who has Thanksgiving? Why Pottery Barn Kids, of course. For about five times the price. I like holiday decorations. I don't like spending an arm and a leg on them.

How did this happen? Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays and I'm bummed I can't host this year. The least I can have is my damn turkey plates! Stupid retailers. Don't they know they could commercialize Thanksgiving like every other self-respecting holiday?

Gobble, gobble! E-bay here I come.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe this is what I will get you and the kids for Chanukah this year.. that way you can feel free to break plates anytime!


http://www.makitonline.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductCode=K1100&PK=aa9ef860cdbf41bfbc1af5b3ed3a089b

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

If only I could draw...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

not you silly, doodles and pie! and uh, if I remember correctly I think you know an artist or two pretty well....

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home