Sunday, November 9

This Year's Nano...

So, I am to some degree doing Nanowrimo this year. But let me come right out and admit this: I'm cheating. Yep, cheating. I'm a cheater, cheater, cheater. The FAQ clearly states, with no ambiguity:
Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1?

Yes.

This sounds like a dumb, arbitrary rule, we know. But bringing a half-finished manuscript into NaNoWriMo all but guarantees a miserable month. You'll care about the characters and story too much to write with the gleeful, anything-goes approach that makes NaNoWriMo such a creative rush. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and you'll tap into realms of imagination and intuition that are out-of-reach when working on pre-existing manuscripts.

I'm not starting from scratch. Not even close to scratch. The plain truth is I actually liked the novel I started last year, and I'm determined to finish it. I plan on writing 50,000 words--or really the completion--of this novel, however many words that takes. It goes against the rules. They'll kick me out! They'll publicly chastise me! They'll, they'll, they'll... Okay, they won't do a damn thing because it's all on the honor system and there are no real prizes other than the satisfaction of writing. They don't give a hoot what I do.

Just wanted to come clean with you guys. But I still need your help. I've got one line to work in tomorrow (and, Emily, I will be taking liberties with it, just because the action takes place pre-election), but I still need more props, lines, tidbits, etcetera to work in.

I'm a little behind. But I'll catch up. That's just the kind of slapdash, half-assed, writing-without-editing kind of person I am.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home