Friday, April 3

Dem Bones

Today I was rolling out the bread dough, preparing to braid it for our Friday night hallah. Doodles's friend, Tab, was over. The two of them and Pie were sitting at the counter while I did this.* Now, have you ever seen hallah rolled out into logs before it's braided. It has a distinctly, um, shall we say phallic look to it? So I cringed when Doodles said to Tab: "You know what that looks like?"

Tab: "No, what?"

And now I'm preparing to jump in. Not sure what I'm going to say. Doodles has been going out of his way lately to be rude, disruptive, and to shock (but luckily only at home--he's on best behavior at school).

Doodles: It looks like bones!

I'm greatly relived. But then he surprises me by continuing.

Doodles: Do you know which bone it looks like?

Tab: No.

Doodles: It looks like a femur!

Me: How do you know what a femur is?

Doodles: From school. [He points to his leg.] The femur is right here. [And I had to look it up just now to confirm he was right. And he was.] Do you know how I remember?

Me: No.

Doodles: Femur in front! So the patella is in back.

In those moments, I'm reminded that this kid has his own life. I, a runner who should know better, have no idea what the bones of my body are called. He's got this whole world going on that I'm not part of where he's learning and doing in his own life and becoming this real little person.

And then, then he reminds me. He's just my little boy. Take dinner tonight:

Pie: I fed Haver at school today! [Haver means "friend" in Hebrew and it's the name of the guinea pig in Pie's classroom.

Doodles: You did?

Pie: Yes! He took the lettuce right from my hand.

Doodles: Who feeds Haver at night time?

Adam: The leave food for Haver at night, probably. And then, when everyone leaves, he watches movies on TV.

Doodles: Really?!?

Pie: No. He's a guinea pig.

Doodles: I want a guinea pig!

Me: We'll think about that.

Doodles: But who would feed the guinea pig lunch while I'm at school?

Pie: I'll feed him when you're at school!

Doodles: No! You can't feed him. The only one who's allowed to take care of Haver...

And here I'm thinking, "Hey, maybe he is mature enough to have a small pet."

Doodles: ...is Mom and Dad!

And there goes the guinea pig, folks. Once my baby boy, always my baby boy.


* This, I have to say, is my absolutely favorite feature in the house--that we have a peninsula in the kitchen where the kids can sit and have snack or do their homework while I'm in the kitchen; the kids love it, too, although they don't realize it yet as I've been baking for them a ton more lately and that they're in to. Just yesterday I made the most amazing pumpkin-banana muffins and they were oil free, If you try these yourself, I cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup for each, didn't use oat bran, but instead used extra oatmeal, which I first ground in a hand blender to make it less textured for little boys who don't like texture--the boy's eaten four in the last 24 hours and only because I cut him off. Am I Martha yet?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home