Thursday, April 23

Two Truths and a Lie

Everyday I ask Doodles what he did at school. And everyday he gives me the same answer: "I don't remember."

I was flipping through a parenting magazine (can't remember which one) and it had some ideas for conversation starters with kids. One of the things they suggested was the game Two Truths and a Lie. The game is pretty simple--you name two things that are true and one that's a lie and others have to guess which is the lie.

This game has completely revolutionized conversation with the boy. He loves the game, and we all go around the table to take a turn. He's actually gotten pretty good at the game (oh,yea! I'm teaching my child how to be an effective liar!).

But the thing is, Pie wants to play too. And Pie just doesn't get it.

Pie: It's my turn! My turn!
Adam: Okay. You go.
Pie [whispering to me]: What did I do today?
Me: [whispering back]: Why don't I go first so you can hear?
Pie [whispering]: Okay.
Me: Okay, so, um, let's see. I bought chicken taquitos at Costco. I watched Doodles and Pie get their teeth cleaned. And I watched an alligator at--
Pie: No!
Me: What? I'm not done!
Pie [shaking her finger]: Mama, you're wrong! You're wrong! There was no alligator. Remember? They said there was no alligator!
Me: We're playing the game. I need to make something up.
Pie: But you're wrong! Okay, my turn.
Me: Go for it.
Pie: Okay. [whispering to me] What did I do?
Me [whispering]: You went to the dentist. You went to Costco. You saw the animal show at the library.
Pie [whispering]: Right. [to the everyone] I went to the dentist. I went to Costco. And I saw animals at the library.
Me: You did all those things.
Pie: I know!
Me: One of those is supposed to be a lie.
Pie: What?
Me: You are supposed to make something up.
Pie: But I did do all those things!

I have one great liar. And one great talker. Why do I think both of these are going to bite me in the butt later?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I will have to try this because both kids claim to have no memory of what they did. To appease us they throw out the classics: coloring, playing on the playground and I don't know. Every day the same thing. At least Keegan's school sends out a summary email at the end of the week so I can try and play catch up.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Running and living said...

As I was readinging, I though I might use this with Pepe. I guess not? Great game, though:) Ana-Maria

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home