Monday, April 20

Fast Friends

Ah, Patriots' Day. The start of spring break. Five days. Me and my kids. At home. With four days of predicted rain. Fun all around!

Actually, I love Patriots' Day, as I attest every year. It's like 4th of July, but with jackets and better parades. We started out the day at the marathon. This year they were more enthusiastic about going than last year. Of course, stopping at Whole Foods to buy them both their own box of bunny snacks (cheddar for him; snack mix for her) that they weren't allowed to open till we got to the race helped tremendously. But we headed down to Framingham, and although we only saw one out of five friends who were running, it was definitely worth the trip. I'm determined that I'm not running another marathon this year, but watching those folks go make me doubt myself. "It wouldn't hurt to do one more this year, a nice easy fall marathon." Doodles was fine, coloring a poster, and Pie was fascinated, watching the runners go by. No matter how many times I told her it was not only okay, but encouraged, to use her "outside voice," she just watched. But for me, I love yelling at the runners, calling out folks as they run by. We stayed an hour, after we saw the slowest of our runner friends (and Pie loved the fact that out of the five runners we knew, the four women beat the guy by over an hour [sorry, Fishy, just telling it like it is!]. A big shout out to Ana-Maria, Sue, Sue, and Saskia for not just finishing the race but really taking it to a new level--two qualified for next year's race and the other two ran at speeds I can only dream about). When it was time to go, Doodles was ready, but Pie complained. "I want to see more runners!" then she asked, "I want to run marathons. Will you teach me how to run, Mommy?" Made my heart go, Zing! She's definitely my baby.

We swung by Adam's office to have lunch with him, which the kids adored. I'm not sure if Pie was more excited about lunch with Daddy or the chance to write on his white board, but she was thrilled. Then we headed back to Lexington. Pie was a little disappointed--"I want to see the runners again! Please can't we go back and see the runners again?"--but then when she realized where we were going, she perked up. The kids were in their true spirits. Doodles was in full negative tilt: "I don't want to go to a parade!" Pie was brimming with joy: "I love parades!"

Of course, toward the end, the temperature had dropped, the wind was blowing, and I asked, "Should we go?" and Pie said, "I'm ready," but Doodles said, "No! It's not over yet!" I have to learn to ignore everything that boy says and just make him do things, because he never wants to do anything and then always has a great time.

By the time we made it home, we were all exhausted and happy. Another successful Patriots' Day. Now to think about that next marathon. For me. And who knows? Maybe, one of these days, for Pie.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home