Saturday, November 14

The End of the Trip as We Know It

Ah. I'd like to say that with the help of Dayquil, sugar, and a few well-placed threats, we made it successfully through our NYC trip. But we still have the return trip and Pie is nearing the end of her happy-trip attitude. With all the "surprises" over, she's d-u-n-n (which is our family's version of the word, a la "r-u-n-n o-f-t"). Tonight she got a little sad, missing her big brother. She insisted on calling him, and then after talking realized she forgot to tell him she'd see him tomorrow, so she demanded I give her the phone back to tell him. Meanwhile, Doodles is showing his innate guyness--when I said to him, "I miss you!" he simply responded, "Me too."

My cold is somewhat fierce (and, yes, it's still a cold. I have a lovely--but productive!--hack), but it's well medicated, so I'm good. As you've seen, we've had a most lovely and busy day. Pie was so happy with the Plaza that she overcame her disappoint that Eloise wasn't there. Although as she left, she asked if we could come back later in the day to see if Eloise was back, but I pointed out we'd be a little busy to come all the way back.

My mom's show (will I ever remember? Exhibit!) at the Nohra Haime Gallery (in the Fuller building on 57th street--visit it if you're in the area!) was the second stop, and Pie was fascinated by Nana's latest work, which is intriguing.

But, oh, the light in her eyes when we showed up at Dashing Divas. She took right to her mani/pedi. And then the excitement at the cupcake store. So many cupcakes! How to choose! But nothing, nothing! compared with the thrill of Pinkalicious. There was actual squealing involved. And she sat, rapt, the entire time, mouth slightly agape, moving only to see around the woman in front of us (I let her sit on my lap for a better view). The musical was cute--and quite tolerable at just an hour long. I've never seen so many ecstatic little girls in one place: Bleeker Street, the preschool version. That was a first for me. Pie waited patiently at the end for an autograph and to have her picture taken with Pinkalicious afterward. Definitely worth harassing the ticket guy to get Pie in.

Lunch was good, but Pie was definitely fading. I was glad we made it to Benny's--one of my favorite places from my East Village days. I ordered the same thing I've ordered all these years--a quesadilla grande. I don't think I'll ever venture to anything else.

Our only downer--other than the occasional "I can't walk anymore!"--was when we finally trekked to the F train (in the rain!), we waited and waited. An announcement would come on, and I'd ask around, "What did he say? Did you understand that?" The crowd grew and grew and the announcement played and played "Garble garble...Broadway/Lafeyette...garble garble...J Street... garble garble." Finally I found someone who understood it. "Train's not running here. Walk to the next stop and take the D train." So we trekked over to the next stop. I did look for a cab, but on a rainy day, no surprise that not a cab was to be found.

So after that slow shuffle to the next subway station, Pie's collapse was no surprise. The walking for the entire day was fairly substantial. From the apartment to the subway to the Plaza, from the Plaza to the gallery, from the gallery to the subway at 60th St., from the subway on Broadway to 8th and University to Bleeker and Lafeyette to Avenue A and 6th Street to Houston and First to Broadway and Lafeyette to... well, that's when she fell asleep. Sitting on the subway. She had a seat and I was standing in front of her and all of a sudden, her little head leaned forward into my legs. I asked the person next to her, "Is she really asleep?" She looked down and said, "Yep!"

Of course, this was the day I decided to wear nicer shoes, so in my heels, I picked Pie up on the moving subway, made my way to the doors, and then carried 40 pounds of dead weight back to the apartment. She woke up and that's when she started pining for her big brother.

And me? My Nyquil has started to take effect. So I'm off to bed. The ride home will be nightmarish, but at sometime tomorrow, Pie will be reunited with her Doodles, and all will be right in the world again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home