Friday, November 13

Flashbacks, Flashforwards

Note to self: When telling a four-year-old that you're going to an art show, be sure to emphasize the art part and perhaps use the word "exhibit" instead of "show." Because, otherwise, after entering an extremely crowded museum (luckily for free through the passes of my mother), you will have a sad child looking for "the people doing a show."

Today was another trip down memory lane. I recently got back in touch with a former roommate, a woman I met at my first post-college job at Saatchi and Saatchi. We lived together in a one-bedroom apartment in Alphabet City, back when Alphabet City was a scarier part of town, about a year after the riots in Tompkins Square Park. Our apartment was one block north and one block east of the park. I know I've written about it before. It was the fifth floor of a walk-up, where the front door didn't lock, and the light on the third floor landing was out so you'd have to step over the homeless guys sleeping there. She slept in the living room and I slept in the bedroom because, well, I whine loudly and she's a nicer person than I am. The only closet, though, was in the bedroom so she'd tiptoe in to get her shoes, which was fine except when my sort-of boyfriend was there and when the psycho cat was having flashbacks (we had a cat passed on to us named Motorhead. A female cat named Motorhead. This cat had done more drugs than Flower, myself, the sort of boyfriend, and the rest of the apartment building including the guy sleeping on the third-floor landing put together. This cat was not normal but she did do a thorough job on the mice, of which there were a few). This was the apartment that taught me it is easier to buy more underwear than to cart my clothes down five flights and four blocks away to be cleaned. Hence why Adam does laundry today (no one--I mean no one--can outlast my supply of underwear, so I never, ever need to do laundry). I could continue with this little history for a long, long time, so let's move on to today.

My roommate, Flower (the name I actually call her, but not her real name), found me online and I got to meet her for breakfast this morning at City Bakery. Pie came with us, got a muffin, met Flower ("Her name is really Flower? I can call her 'Flower'?"), and then got picked up by my father so Flower and I could catch up. I haven't seen her since I moved out of New York in 1994. So, you know, it had been a while. It was amazing seeing her--it brought back memories I had long, long forgotten (or repressed?), including a week-long stay in the hospital. How do you forget things like that? I had.

See? The magic of the Internet. I have Flower back! We had a nosh, we did a little shopping (I'm almost good on all my Hanukkah shopping), roaming the Union Square area (more memories--my NYU dorm was on Union Square).

After I said good-bye to Flower, I retrieved Pie and my mother, and we headed to the "art show" that had no "show." The afternoon was saved, though, because the Guggenheim has a ramp. Oh! What a ramp! She climbed up and up and up! Occasionally we tried to point out the art work ("What do you see here? Aren't these interesting colors?") and she'd look for a second and then head back to the ramp. She had some interest in the Anish Kapoor piece and the gold of the beads. But, worryingly, the thing that most interested her was the Kitty Kraus, a room that basically had melted ink all over the floor. And us with those beautiful new floors at home. Oh well.

She became interested in the Kadinsky "bubble" painting after we suggested that when she got back to the apartment she could make her own Kadinsky-inspired art work.

We were hoping to meet the Tweedle Twirp for a late lunch, but Pie pooped, so we headed back to the apartment. Tweedles and I went out for some Japanese food and a trip to the Strand, and Pie stayed back at the apartment to create an art museum with my mom. I listened to Tweedles's life of academia and woes about bedbugs (yes, she had bedbugs! And did you know a bedbug registry exists? Awesome! She had to heat everything in her apartment to above 120 degrees using some special machine and everything the owned was put in ziplock bags. She also had to buy new furniture. Fun times!), but apparently it's too soon to joke about the bedbugs, so no snide comments here. We came back to a wonderful art museum in the apartment--Pie spent quite a while making wonderful drawings.

Tomorrow is the day of Pie surprises. I'll try to post as we do them so you can be surprised along with her. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow and hope the girl can keep her stamina up. We start the day with a breakfast at the gallery that's having her show, which Pie knows about, and then we continue with the ultimate girl day.

The only thing marring this trip so far is I've developed a rather bad cold. I keep checking in with myself ("No fever. Good. Oh, that cough is in my chest and phlegmy. Check. Stuffy nose. Yep.") just to make sure it's really a cold and not H1N1. One of my favorite things to do in NYC is of course running. I love going down the West Side, in Henry Hudson park, around the tip of Manhattan. But with this cold, that's not happening. Luckily race season is over and I'm not training for anything, so I can allow myself to be a slug for a few days.

So for now, I'm off to take my Nyquil. Good night, everyone! Sleep tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

you should ask Pie to write an artists statement.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home