Tuesday, June 11

Six more day of waking up and going into an office. Yikes, that feels short. And yet, next week still feels far away. I know there are folks I won't see for a while--if ever--again, yet it doesn't feel real. I have about three more weeks left in Seattle. Period.

Running

Got the results from the Beat the Bridge run. I did the 8k in 45:16, which comes out to 9:07 miles. I'm having issues with my running--I'm bored with my routes (one way in which I'm really looking forward to Boston--all new runs!), but worse than that, after my long runs, I'm beat. Sunday is my long run day, which means I'm pretty much guaranteed to spend Sunday afternoon asleep on the couch. Yesterday, I ran just over 14 miles, with two big hills, and I fell asleep for a good hour when I got back (okay, hour and a half). I check compulsively every day to see if they've announced the date of the drawing for the New York Marathon. If I don't get a number, I have some back-up marathons in mind, including Baltimore, Providence, Richmond, Maine, and Cape Cod. While Baltimore is certainly not the most exciting sounding, it does sound like a beginner's marathon, which is what I'm looking for. A lot of the courses close to support (water, Gatorade, Power Bars) after about 5 1/2 hours. While I'd like to think I could run a marathon in 12-minute miles, I'm not sure I could and I feel more confident with a race that stays open for 7 hours. Of course, there's always the marathon in Dublin... Eugene suggested the Chicago marathon, but I'd only do it if he actually did it. Honestly, while New York would be the coolest to do, I just want to do a marathon this year. Can be any marathon.

Flicks

Saw two more SIFF films and one anti-SIFF film. The two SIFF films were The Last Kiss and Mostly Martha. Kiss was another "relationships are doomed, and man and woman can never be truly happy together," but it was at least enjoyable. Martha was a bit cliche for me--neurotic woman's sister is killed and neurotic woman has to take care of her niece. It was cute, but nothing new. Finally, Undercover Brother was fantastic. That one is solid!

Clothes

Okay, so I broke down and went shopping. Even worse, I used a personal shopper... and I loved it! I don't own a single nice summer outfit (after eight years in Seattle, who needs nice clothes, never mind nice summer clothes!). I have about a 1/2 hour tolerance for shopping. But using the personal shopper was fabu! I made an appointment, told her I was looking for interview/work clothes for the East Coast, she asked me some questions about my tastes, I leafed through a magazine, and voila, she reappears with a handful of clothes. I didn't have to venture in the store at all. And she completely satisfied my request for Geranimals for grown-ups. Three bottoms, four tops, and they all go together. Yeah, Nordstrom! But even more importantly, yeah half yearly sale and yeah house discount! Got to go back before Adam leaves his job there.

Ab Fab

Oh, my interview with Jennifer Saunders was finally posted.

Not of the Heart

There was an eclipse this evening. I looked right at it. Not blind, yet!

Married Life

Tomorrow's Tuesday, which mean it's Susan Stamberg's next installment on the Living Single on NPR. It's so odd to listen to and to keep reading Bridget Jones-type books, because I still completely and totally 100% relate to the single-gal mind set. It's almost like I forget I'm married sometimes. It's not that I'm checking out guys, but I still think of myself as the chronically dating commitment-phobe. Married life is great, but it's hard for me to associate myself with what I think of as "married."

Leafing through Adam's HBS survival book, I was horrified at the piece by a female partner (from "A Female Partner's Perspective": "Another soucrce of your HBS friendships will be your spouse's section. The section provides a nice, small neighborhood of partners, many of whom may have a similar schedule to yours. Ask a section parter to join you for an after-work jog arund the Charles River.... Several couples I know scheduled a 'date night' every couple of weeks."). I wanted to scream, "I'm not a corporate-wife-in-training!" How much better did I relate to the "A Male Partner's Perpective," especially the part that read, "She had flirted with the idea of going to Columbia or INSEAD, but, in the end, we both knew that getting accepted by HBS meant she was going there. In addition, we both knew that there was no chance that I was going to be going with her. Besides my dislike of Boston (sorry folks--they asked me to be honest), I work at MTV, so I really had to stay in New York." Umm, hello? I'm the free-spirit who's dream is to travel from Istanbul to South Africa...over land. Sigh. Now, I'm going to "agree to meet a group of partners at Shad, or plan partner movie nights and dinner outings." At the dentist today (need to use up all my insurance while I still had it), the hygenist asked me why I was moving to Boston. "My husband got into Harvard Business School." "Oh, and you're being the faithful wife." Okay, so I often say, "the dutiful wife," when questioned about the move, but there was no irony in her voice, at all! Never has anyone said that line to me straight. Yuck!

I just realized that it's seriously past my bedtime. I'll have to continue my married-lady rant another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home