Friday, September 13

Runny Noses

Adam kindly gave me his cold, so I spent the day swaddled up in bed, reading my latest trashy book from the library. I'm glad I'll be going out into the real world again soon, so I can start thinking like a grown-up again. I can feel my mind turning to mush....

Schoomze with Jews... and HBSers

The event at Hillel was billed as "Schmooze with Jews," a grad school event. I decided to overlook the disastrous Rosh Hashanah services, and give Hillel another try. Since it was a mixer for folks from a bunch of Boston schools, I figured it would be a great chance to meet folks. I loved being active on the YLD board in Seattle, and who knows? Well, it was just like going to an HBS event. Only instead of people dismissing me the minute they found out I wasn't a student, here they dismissed me the minute they saw I wasn't single. I spied a petite woman talking with a man, who didn't appear Jewish, in the corner. I then saw them later by a table, and I whispered to Adam, "I think they're a couple! They'll talk to us!" And sure enough, they did. Nice folks--she's getting her law degree and he's doing a PhD in economics. The saving grace of the evening.

After, we headed to a happy hour at a local bar. The segregation thing between the marrieds and non-marrieds is definitely in full force. This was the married crowd. When we arrived, Kara and two other women were sitting at one end of the table, and the guys were all at the other end. Adam headed for two empty seats at the end of the table, but I pulled up a chair with the womenfolk. I hate that this is the way it's turning out--this self-ghettoization by the females, but the truth is, the guys kind of bore me. The sections the students will be in was leaked and the guys were all talking about that or about their Creating Modern Capitalism class. Yet, I want to rebel against the women-in-the-corner thing (not that we were literally in the corner, but you get my drift). But do you sacrifice a pleasant evening for the sake of your principles? What I thought was interesting was that later two more students showed up--one male, one female, not a couple. They both sat at our end of the table, and I absolutely automatically fell into the trap of assuming she was a partner. And honestly, once I found out she was a student, I didn't want her sitting with us. I felt like I wanted her to sit with the other students and force her way into their conversation. A sort of "do it for the women" kind of thing.

Of course, we haven't figured out the gender dynamics at home, either. Adam and I haven't yet decided the division of responsibilities here. He's truly fallen into the stereotypical "man"'s role, painting the walls, fixing the electrical, installing the sink. And by default, since I'm home, I'm doing the laundry and mostly making the dinners and doing the dishes. Which is probably the fairest division of labor we've ever had, because in our house in Seattle, he pretty much did everything (the fixing, the dishes, the wash; we split cooking). Yet, it makes me crazy now when he leaves a mess, because I'm home all day to deal with it. When I'm working full-time (and continuing to freelance), we'll have some definite work to do in figuring out how we divide up the chores. If I can get enough freelance, then perhaps we can get a maid service again, which would be a huge relief to both of us.

Oh, Yeah, Did I Mention I Found a Job?

Now, you all know I don't normally write about work here (too unprofessional), but I will (for the sake of exposition) tell you about my upcoming job, which I'm terribly excited about. I found an editor/writer position at Boston University in the alumni publications department. The joy of this job is it's truly half writing and half editing. That's the job. No metrics, no merchandising, no building pages. I get to focus on the two things I like doing best. And because the school is so large, there are a zillion things to write about. The features are real features (I'll be contributing to Bostonia magazine as well as managing two newsletters), so I'll really be able to develop my article writing skills. The folks in the office seem really great (an office full of happy people!) and the benefits are superb. I start a week from Monday!

House Status

And in case you're wondering, the sink still isn't in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home