Monday, March 17

The Weekend Wrap Up

Warm weather has begun at last. The weekend was decidedly springlike, although it has nothing on today, when at lunch, it was a whopping 58 degrees, which of course felt downright hot. Large patches of brown dirt are now finally making their way through the piles of snow in our front yard, making for tempting mud puddles. I had to strip off my tights midday because I was sweatin' (and, of course, because they cut off all circulation because of my ever-expanding tummy, but that doesn't sound nearly as pleasant, does it). But you didn't come here to read about the weather, did you? So here are the highlights from my weekend:
~Breakfast on Saturday at Renee's Cafe with Adam's brother Jon and his maybe-she-is, maybe-she-isn't girlfriend. Classic moment came when pointing out Jon's odd t-shirt, I asked if his mother had bought for him. "No way!" he said. "Not only is she not allowed to buy my clothes, but she's barely allowed to do my laundry anymore." I bet his mother lives in fear for the day he won't let her do his wash. It's a heart-wrenching moment. Did I mention that Jon just turned 27?
~Adam will be moving his office into the basement. The basement windows need some sort of curtains so prying eyes won't just peer down and see a lonely computer those fifteen minutes a day when Adam is not compulsively checking his e-mail. Adam agrees curtains are needed. I now have the sewing skills: I shall make the curtains. "Shall I just pick out the fabric?" I ask. "No," he barks. (Okay, not exactly a bark. More like the snip of a disgruntled husband.) "Okay, so we'll go to Joann Fabrics and you'll pick something out." "I don' wanna go." "Then I'll pick them out." "No!"

Later that day in the parking lot of the fabric store, Adam does not want to enter. "We'll just get blinds," Adam says. Except that these windows are twenty-eight inches tall. "We don't need custom blinds. We'll just put in normal blinds and just not unroll them all the way." Except that there's nowhere to put the blinds on the outside of the windows (the top abuts the ceiling). "We'll put them on the inside," which of course leaves plenty of room for daylight. And we're already at the fabric store. "Don't tell anyone I'm doing this," Adam says. Of course not, honey. "Hurry up," he says. "We're in and out fast as we can."

Inside the store, Adam doesn't do much better as I hold up bolts of fabric for him. "Do you like these?" "No." "Do you like these?" "No." "Do you like these?" "No." Finally I send him off to pick out fabric himself. "I don't know what to get." There is an unmistakable whine in his voice. He finally picks a heavy canvas that I point out won't let in a shred of light. He finally agrees on a calico. At this point, he's hopping from foot to foot anxious to get out of there. But I'm not done. Finally, frustrated, I send him to Starbucks and tell him to come back for me in fifteen minutes. You've never seen this boy move so fast. Of course, after fifteen minutes, I'm roaming the store killing time, waiting for his return. Finally I give up and go to pay and he enters. He asks, "What's taking you so long?" "I've been waiting for you." "Oh, I was waiting outside." God forbid he be seen in the store twice. You would think I sent him to the store for a pregnancy test or tampons (which, I should mention, I have done and he's managed quite well). I swear, the entire experience was straight out of Blondie comic strip. (Hey, you can make your own Blondie comic strip.)

By the way, for those tracking my Martha tendencies, I got everything I need and I'll report back on whether I actually successfully made the curtains or not. Because there really is not a top window sill, we'll have to put it up in a makeshift hooks kind of manner. I'll take pictures when I'm done so you can see what I mean.
~A Sports Night marathon. Every time I attempted to get up to clean my office closet out, I found my butt squarely glued to the couch. So Adam and I had a few major Sports Night binge sessions in which we finished the series. That was a great series. Sigh.
~And I did, in fact, finally clean out my closet. Didn't quite finish, but I have a better idea where things are. Of course, a few things in our house are still MIA from the move. I will find them one of these days soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home