Tuesday, July 15

Forgetfulness to the Nth Degree

On our wedding day, everyone treated me with deference. When Adam and I walked into the reception, the caterers handed us glasses of champagne, and I remember thinking, "That's odd. We aren't serving champagne yet." A waitress came up to me and said, "We saved you a plate of hors d'oeuvres," and again I thought it was strange. Strangers in the hotel lobby would smile at me and give me their best wishes. How does everyone know to be nice to me? I thought. Then I'd look down, see the big white dress and feel the veil on the back of my head and remember, Oh, yeah. They can see that I'm the bride. Duh. But I would constantly forget that I was wearing this big symbol that screamed, "I just got married!" (So much for everyone telling me I'd feel like a princess on my wedding day. I mean, I felt great, but definitely not princess-like.) I've now hit that point with my pregnancy. I'm wearing this baby in full view, but I sometimes forget it's there. A Home Depot installation guy came this morning to install a new back door for us. I had papers to sign, but I'm losing them right and left. "Where did I put that paper? Where are my keys so I can move my car for you? What did I just do with that paper?" I thought to myself, Pregnancy brain and I was about to say it out loud, when my next thought was, Well, that's dumb. He doesn't know I'm pregnant. Of course, a moment later I looked down and remembered not only am I showing, I'm really showing (how much am I showing? Here's a bare belly pic at 31 weeks for those not afraid), and of course he knows I'm pregnant. So I voiced my thought aloud. But seriously, every now and then, I just forget that the world knows I'm having a baby, that it's not just a secret between me and Adam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home