Tuesday, July 22

What's On My Mind Today

  • On NPR this morning: "Last night the Red Sox pounded the lowly Tigers, fourteen to five, at Fenway. Tonight they complete their two-game series." Do two games really a series make? Wouldn't you say that two games is more like a game and its sequel?
  • I know that the Rabbit I drove in high school didn't have cup holders. I would prop my morning can of Diet Coke between my legs when I had to shift gears (no power in this car--it took two hands to do everything, even, practically, change the radio station), hoping it wouldn't spill. Now I can't live without my car cup holder. But I don't remember when they became ubiquitous. When was the first time I saw a cup holder? These are the important things in life that slip my mind.
  • Adam's getting a little tiny roll of fat around his waist. (Adam has heretofore been known as the skinniest man alive). I can't think of anything that's made me happier than Adam saying, "Ohmygod, I'm getting fat." Welcome to my world. Of course, I have an excuse. He just has an ever-increasing tailor's bill as he goes in to have his suit pants let out.
  • Is anyone else as over-the-top excited, can't-wait-to-get-my-hands-on-it thrilled that the eleventh edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary is out? It's such a pleasant surprise--I had no idea it was on its way. I looked at my tenth edition--which is inscribed "from your little sister, June 1993"--and was shocked that ten years had gone by. I remember how exciting it was when the tenth came out. Looking the book over, I noticed it was pretty worn. The cover is loose, some of the pages are bent (I have a bad habit of having to look the same word up over and over--some words just look wrong to me no matter how many times I see them). I guess it's time. You know, I hear dictionaries make great baby gifts. Maybe I should put in on our baby registry. Oh, who am I kidding. I can't wait that long to get my hands on it.
  • My knitting teacher said to put flat buttons on the baby sweater I've made. "It will be more comfortable for the baby." "Why," I asked, "should I be worried about his comfort? He's not worried about mine? Payback, you know, is a bitch." I think I threw her a little and she said, "Oh, he doesn't mean to make you uncomfortable now." To which I said, "You don't know the baby's father. I'm betting this is completely intentional." Rounded buttons, anyone?
  • If Harriet the Spy had been born in the '80s, she'd be a blogger, too.
  • How long do I have to spend on my hands and knees with my butt in the air before this baby turns himself (the pediatrician's suggestion)? Do I really need to shine a flashlight up there? Blah.
  • When the microwave instructions say, "Leave in microwave 1 to 2 minutes after cooking," does anyone really do that? Doesn't everyone have a line behind them at the office microwave? Who has this luxury?
  • Who knew that Hershey's Kisses now come in dark chocolate! Mmmm, dark chocolate. Ohmygod: crafts from Kisses. Maybe next holiday season I'll make a Kiss Menorah. Oh, if I only were a goy. (Hey, that can be sung to the tune of "If I Only Had a Brain"!) The centerpiece I could make!
  • Will this guy ever be able to live down being the guy who made Lance Armstrong crash? It makes me feel better. No matter how much I may screw things up, at least I didn't make Lance Armstrong crash. (Link courtesy of Eugene.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home