Friday, September 5

The Difference Between Me and Adam

Doodlebug, like most babies, does this thing where he, out of nowhere, begins to wave his arms around wildly. Then, just as suddenly, he'll stop. It's some sort of baby reflex. When Adam saw him doing this, he said, "Awww, Doodlebug is conducting the baby orchestra!" Which I thought was funny, because when I saw Doodlebug doing it, the first thing that came to my mind was the opening of Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:
We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?" Then it was quiet again. [...]"What the hell are you yelling about?" [my attorney] muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. "Never mind," I said. "It's your turn to drive." [...] No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.
Doodlebug's seeing bats. I'm sure of it.