Monday, August 18

Normally, I'd never blog during work hours (ahem), but really all there is for me to do at the moment is begin to clear out my cubicle, as this coming Friday is my last day here. As I'm not in a cleaning mood (so much for that nesting thing that's supposed to kick in), I figure I can blog with impunity.

This weekend was a delightful weekend, with Jenn making it up from the Hamptons. There was some concern she wouldn't make it, as the power outage affected the ferries, but arrive she did, only about five hours or so later than intended. We spent much mellow time together, starting with a leisurely breakfast at Zaftig's. Next Jenn had a manicure and I had a pedicure (even though I can't see my toes anymore--I was just looking for a good foot rub, which I got). Then, a few of the HBS partner gals threw a small dessert baby shower for me at the Harvest in Cambridge. Mmmm, I'm still thinking about the mocha pot de creme I had. It was a lovely event, and it was so sweet of them to do it. Never mind the fact that Brown Brown got a ton of fabulous gifts, including some cute cute cute outfits, a Baby Bjorn, a monitor, toys, and a great diaper bag. I spent the next day playing with the toys myself--I'm not sure I'm going to want to let them go long enough for the baby to play with them. After the shower, we rented a couple of flicks and spent the rest of the evening vegging. Unfortunately, Jenn had to leave at the crack of dawn on Sunday to make her ferry, so we didn't get the waffle breakfast I had planned. But it was just as well. One day of activity was apparently plenty for me, and I spent the entire day either lying on the couch or in bed. I got some stuff done--finished a knitting project, addressed baby announcement envelopes--but nowhere near what I had intended. I think I may be done with the productive stage of things. From here on out, I'll either be at work or taking couch time. Adam, on the other hand, has been amazing, fixing things and making sure everything's prepared for Brown Brown. He went pretty much nonstop all weekend.

One thing I do need to do--tonight!--is pack my hospital bag. That magic 37-week point that seemed like a lifetime away is just Wednesday, which means Brown Brown could blow at any point. Yes, he's still breech, but who knows? Maybe he'll turn at the last minute (and I'll be sure to report on tomorrow night's acupuncture appointment). Point is, we're really at the "at any moment" point. Of course, that "moment" lasts for five weeks, but I refuse to think about that (la-la-la-la-la-la-la, I can't hear you!). I follow the Baby Center September 2003 message boards fairly religiously at this point, and a lot of women have already had their babies. I'm having an extremely difficult time wrapping my mind around the fact that one of these days there will be a real live baby in our lives. I still always half expect the doctor to say to me, "Oh, we made a mistake. You were never really pregnant. You're just fat." It's just all so surreal! Of course, the other thing I expect is that instead of a baby some weird pokey alien is going to emerge from me. But then again, baby, alien--is there really that much of a difference?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home