Wednesday, November 5

Runaround Fish

Sunday was the New York City Marathon. Boston, of course, doesn't have complete race coverage, but they do show the highlights in the afternoon. My friend Fish decided to try it out this year--it's doubly impressive for him because not only does this mean he's running 26.2 miles, it means he's quit smoking, something I didn't think I'd ever see (a fish without a cigarette is like a woman without a bicycle or something like that). I'm sure if he had known about it ahead of time, he'd be paranoid, but I was able to track his progress through the race on the Web site. Because all the runners wear chips, you can follow their splits. I dutifully watched the highlights program (no sign of Fish) and read all the race info to help motivate me to the gym. I'm completely pumped to run the marathon this year, although I have such a long way to go until I'm ready. I need to be back to a twenty-mile-a-week running base by June, which is certainly doable, even though my huffing and puffing at a simple three-mile jog makes me feel doubtful at the moment. Anyway, Fish finished with just over twelve-minute miles. My goal for next year is to simply finish, although (to show that Adam's business speak has had some effect on me) my stretch goal is under thirteen-minute miles. In my peak, I was running half-marathons at 11:30. So I figure 12:45 for a full marathon could happen if I can get myself back into my peak shape. Right now I'm more in my pear shape. But I'm working on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home