Wednesday, December 24

No Substitutions

So, the Doodlebug is a little smarter than I had given him credit for. I would like the Doodlebug to take a pacifier. It would make mine and Adam's life infinitely easier if we could just plug that little guy up and have him drift off with a binky in his mouth. One of my mom friends suggested that, at night, since the Doodlebug likes to fall asleep as he nurses, that when he begins to drift off, I slowly pull his mouth off of me and quickly insert a pacifier, keeping him pressed up against me so he doesn't realize a switch was made. It would get him used to the pacifier. I tried it. I thought he was fully asleep, so I quickly gave him his pacifier. He continued to suck. And suck. But the sucking slowed a little. And then there was a pause. And another slow suck. And a pause. Another hesitant suck. His little brow furrowed. He took another suck. A loud one. And he slowly, ever so slowly, turned his head, and as he took another suck, I could see the tiny wheel in his head turning, as he thought, "Hey, I'm still sucking on something. But I know the breast doesn't move with me. My head moves, then I have nothing to suck on. Yet, I moved my head and there's still something in my mouth..."--even deeper furrows, wrinkling of eyes, scrunching of nose as the truth hits--"HEY, THAT'S NOT MY MOM'S BREAST!" And there go the screams and the wide-open eyes. And it's back to the beginning. But with no pacifier this time. I'm not training the Doodlebug; he's training me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home