Wednesday, August 4

A World in Crisis

The world is a cruel place. And I know that as a mother I now need to learn how to help my child through some of life's rougher moments. The Boston Globe understands this, and to help beleaguered parents, there was a front page story on Monday on how to deal with the newest, harshest loss that has come to pass. They consulted with a child psychologist so that good parents everywhere can guide their young ones:
"Rather than saying this is the way things go and there will be someone else, say, 'I see you're upset. I know this is upsetting. Do you want to talk about it? Because I'm upset, too,'" [Dr. Carolyn Newberger, a Brookline child psychologist] said....

"The reality is awful," she said. "But this is a reality that will help the children understand a little more how the world works."

I hope that you will show the same sensitivity, the same kindness, the same empathy in talking to your children about this very important issue. Because with everything going on in the world today, everyone knows that what really is hurting children today is ... the freakin' trade of Nomar to the Cubs!

Ohmygod, people, get over yourselves!!! Front page coverage? Child psychologists? Of course, as the Globe reports, "Garciaparra's trade to the Chicago Cubs arguably has been hardest on his youngest fans -- 5-, 6-, and 7-year-olds -- who don't understand contract disputes, free agency, or soured employer-employee relationships."

Look, I love my husband and I support him completely in his passions, but puh-lease! If these kids want to be Red Sox fans they're going to have to learn to deal with heartache and disappointment! If the parents were truly smart, they'd say, "Toughen up, sweetie. Welcome to the fellowship of the miserable." Welcome to the real world, kid. Life sucks, and then the Yankees win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home