Wednesday, September 8

Fun with Belly Buttons

Out of all my body parts, my belly is the part I'm least pleased with. My legs look fine--all that long distance running has shaped them just fine. My biceps are definitely showing the effects of carrying a 21-pound weight around. But I just don't get around to doing crunches (even though I know it would be good for my running). Which of course means that my belly is the part of my body that Doodles is most fascinated by. And I mean fascinated.

For some reason, my belly button is extremely soothing to Doodles. When he gets upset--which he does frequently now that he's discovered the wonderful world of temper tantrums--nothing calms him like my belly button. Take just now, for instance. He wanted to type on the computer. I let him for a bit but when he began to get really aggressive, I set him down with his toys. This would not do. Not at all. Because he wanted the computer right now! Big fat tears rolled down his cheeks and sobs that could be heard down the block racked his tiny body. There was no distracting him. No calming him. I picked him up and tried to soothe him. But until I sat down with him and he was able to wiggle his way down and lift my shirt and stick one finger in his mouth and another into my belly button, there was no happiness. But as soon as he found the belly button, he sighed and rested his head on my chest, instantly satisfied.

Anytime I'm lying on my back, Doodles works his way over to me and finds my belly button. First thing in the morning during family cuddle time, in the afternoon when I'm just trying to relax for five minutes on the living room floor, in the evening when it's wind down time. One finger in mouth, another in the belly button.

Okay, no big deal. My belly button makes Doodles happy. Except that it doesn't just make him happy at home, it makes him happy everywhere. If he's worked up in playgroup, up goes my shirt until he finds my belly button. If he's overexcited in the playground, up goes my shirt. And Doodles doesn't have a real concept of how high the shirt needs to go for the belly button. While I'm really not excited about exposing my belly in public, I'm less excited about exposing what's above the belly.

Remember when I used to have a belly ring? Well now I have a belly finger. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home