Wednesday, March 16

Battle of Wills

My 18-month-old son has decided he no longer needs his nap. My 36-year-old weary tired self has decided that he actually needs to be taking longer naps. Who do you think is winning this battle? I type guiltily as he screams from his crib. But this is nap time, and dammit, that child is going to nap or at least stay in his crib until I've had time to take a few deep breaths.

Doodles has been more or less charming lately, but today he's been in a "no no no no NO!" kind of mood. This has been the first nice day out (and who would believe that I would consider 40 degrees to be nice, but, hey, after what we've had, 40 degrees is downright balmy) and I decided we'd walk down to Walgreens to pick up a prescription for me (Tylenol 3. Oh, how I love Tylenol 3! For pregnancy headaches, Motrin is a no-no, but apparently codeine is just fine. Sometimes pregnancy can be a beautiful thing). Doodles did fine on the walk, although at one point, he started to nod off. Oh, I don't think so! So I gave him food. Food always works. When we got home, I felt bad for having him cooped up in the stroller so I offered to let him play outside. He happily got down and started saying "Bubbles," which is what he thinks snow is. After a few minutes of "Bubbles" and giggling, he pointed at absolutely nothing, looked at me firmly, and said, "Nmengish."

"What would you like, honey?" I asked.

"Nmengish," he demands.

I have no idea what this is and I tell him so. He's becoming visibly upset and walks to the steps to go up to the house. Now he just pouts and starts to scream. "Do you want to go inside?" Scream. "Do you want to walk up the steps?" Scream. "Do you want to play?" Scream. "Do you want to go for a walk?" Scream. I give up and sit down on the steps, only to be pushed off by my child who is screaming, "No no no no no NO NO NO!"

Finally, I carried him inside where he did eventually stop screaming. The solution? more food, of course. I gave him lunch, I played with him, read him some books. He then walked to the bottom of the stairs and said, "Sleep." So I brought him upstairs, read him a few more books. He put his head on my shoulder in his tired way. I put him in his crib, where he's been screaming for, oh, about an hour now.

That's the kind of day we're having. I've even written a little song about it (with apologies to the Bangles):

It's just another nap-free Wednesday
I wish it were Saturday
Because that's my pass-him-off to Daddy day
It's just another nap-free Wednesday.

Hey, did you hear that sound? It was sound of my will snapping in half. I'm going to get the child. Round 286: The Doodlebug.

1 Comments:

Blogger An Epistemology said...

You are not alone. My little one now likes to get up at 6:30 am, he used to sleep until 8:00. There is no time for me to start the day my way anymore. I tried to squeeze in a quick shower today while he was transfixed or so I thought on Barney in the next room. I came out to find a little boy standing in the doorway with no diaper on. He took his diaper off and pooped right there on the floor! I do understand your current presence of mind.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home