Wednesday, July 20

33 Weeks, 4 days, and Counting

I am officially uncomfortable. Things on my body ache, places I won't mention in my blog. Leg cramps wake me up in the middle of the night. Last night, Adam and I took the second part of our childbirth refresher course, which is really a misnomer for us, as we never really had childbirth the first time, as Doodles was an unplanned/planned C. (And on a side note, I feel like this area has really become our home: the class was held at our Boston hospital, which has how many zillions of babies in the Greater Boston area born there?, and yet, when we walked in, it turns out we knew three out of the other four couples in the class.)

The first part of our class, a few weeks ago, was specifically on VBACs, which was kind of a waste, as the teacher wasn't great and we didn't hear anything we didn't already know (I'll have to be on a fetal monitor the entire time; I can't be induced; blah blah blah).

Last night's class, though, was quite interesting. First of all, it was validating. The teacher said right off the bat that we're probably feeling a whole lot more pain than we did the first time around and she even specifically singled out that place I won't mention, at which point I smacked Adam in his side because on the car ride over, I had said, "I'm feeling horrible pain in that place I won't mention in my blog," and he said, "What? What the hell are you talking about? How can you be hurting there?"

Secondly, the class spent more time on sibling adjustment than anything else, which was helpful, alarming, and interesting. Lots of talk about how to refer to the new baby and to Doodles, how to talk in a way that won't alienate Doodles, what to do when Doodles shows an interest in breastfeeding, how we shouldn't be feeling guilty about our first child by having a second child (something I've been feeling strongly lately--my poor Doodles, the light of our lives, is about to have his happy little life turned upside down), etc.

Basically what it boils down to is Doodles, at some point, will regress. It may not happen right away. It may not happen in three months. But at some point in that first year, Doodles will stage some sort of revolt against the baby or against us. Adam and I are going to start a pool about when Doodles comes up to us and states, "All done baby! All done!"

In three weeks, Doodles will be attending a sibling class, specifically for two to three year olds, at the hospital, (nooooo! not a class for two year olds! Okay, technically he'll be a week and a half shy of two, but still. Where's my baby boy?!?) Here's where they'll teach him not to smack the baby and yell, "That's funny!"; feed her Veggie Booty when she's just three weeks old; or get upset when she won't play 'tar (guitar) with him. Well not exactly. But that's what we really need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home