Wednesday, October 5

Nana Nano

The Nana left today. It wasn’t pretty: Doodles had an absolute meltdown as we left the airport, big tears streaming down his face, as he wailed in a pitiful cry, “Naaaaaanaaaa! Naaaaaanaaaa!”

Which is different from the cry that Sweetie Pie was making yesterday, when she was lying in her vibrating chair, her little face balled up into an angry red welt of fury, as the Nana stood over her taking pictures. I heard the screams from the next room (as Nana had Sweetie duty at the moment) and I called out, “I’m coming, Sweetie Pie!” to which Nana said, “Take your time!” and I could hear the click, click of her camera. (For those who don’t know, the Nana creates Art. And Art requires hundreds of photos of people doing normal things... like crying). I went into Nana’s room, and she said, “Just give me one more minute. This is what I wanted when I took all those photos earlier, but she wouldn’t cry then.” My heart is, meanwhile, starting to crack at the sound of my wee one so miserable, and I say, “Make it fast! I can’t take this!” After about thirty seconds, which felt much, much longer, the Nana said, “Okay, done!” As I swooped down to make my Sweetie feel better, I said, “You’re lucky she started screaming on your last night here.” The Nana said, “Oh, it wasn’t luck. I turned off the vibration.” Um, she did what? When I expressed my extreme displeasure about this, she said, “Hey, it wasn’t my idea! It was Adam’s!” Adam admitted, “All I said was if you wanted Sweetie to cry, just turn the vibration off on the chair.” I’m not sure which one should be indicted first.

This one transgression aside, the Nana will be missed. And not just the shed-painting, bathroom-painting, lawn-mowing, raking, laundry-doing, Doodles-playing, Sweetie-calming parts either. It was actually nice having her around. And now the fun begins. Me. And me. And me. And a six-week old and a two year old. And me. Between the hours of 8 and 6, it’s just me. And a newborn and a toddler. And Me. Did I mention, it’s just me now? God help me. Or is it God help the kids? Well, God help someone!

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Your blog is our glimpse into the not-so-distant future. Do I thank you or curse you? xo

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home