Wednesday, December 28

Vacay

We're spending this week at my parents in Miami Beach. It's always nice to come home, but let me tell you, packing for a family of four is waaaay different from packing for a family of three. For starters, when we were three, there was always a place for all of us to sleep. Now, we pack a travel trundle for Doodles. Before, I could cram all of Doodles and my stuff into one bag; now it takes two bags. Doodles toys could comfortably fit in my bag with my books. Now an entire bag is necessary for Doodles's toys and snacks as well as all of Sweetie Pie's paraphernalia.

I was quite worried about the flight down. When Doodles was little, we bought him his own half-priced seat on the flights so he could fly in comfort in his car seat. However, buying tickets for three adults (yes, my two-year-old son now pays full-price for his plane tickets) during high season meant that poor Sweetie Pie was stuck on my lap for the whole trip. I didn't know how it was going to work out. And let me say, the flight down was rough. But Sweetie Pie wasn't the problem, if you know what I mean. Mister little full-price-ticket Doodles also no longer needs a car seat on an airplane. You keep a two year old in his seat with his seat belt fastened. Go on. I dare you! Luckily, since I had my hands full with Sweetie Pie, Doodles was Adam's problem. We flew Song, and I lament the fact that they are going out of business it was a stellar flight. For those of you flying with children on your lap, you can play video trivia while bouncing a child on your knee.

Anyway, we're here now and enjoying ourselves immensely. Doodles and Sweetie Pie's great-grandparents threw a Hanukkah party today that was quite lovely. Most of the grand/great grandkids were in town, so it was a large festive affair. Doodles performed, Sweetie Pie beamed. Of course, the minute we took Sweetie Pie away from the party and back into the car, she started to scream. Oh did she scream. A gasping-I-can't-breathe kind of scream that puts panic into any mom's heart. She screamed the entire thirty minute ride back. The only other sound that could be heard in between her gasps were the sounds of... Doodles snoring. Yes, my son can indeed sleep through anything. It was a most impressive feat.

And now we're all tired even though it's ridicuolously early. Sweetie Pie is asleep in bed and I asked Adam to watch her for five minutes while I brushed and flossed. I came back to find my "I don't need that much sleep" husband passed out. He lies here now in his clothing and I don't have the heart to wake him to change. I could tell you more, like about two-year-old present greed (my child actually shook he was so overcome by the present exchange) or my beautiful daughter practically got catcalls when we were walking down Lincoln Road today, but instead, I'll join the rest of my family in their sleep. Good night and happy Hanukkah!

1 Comments:

Blogger RUbirdie said...

Happy Hanukkah!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home