Wednesday, March 8

Rachel Made Me Do It

Rachel is the coolest mom I know (Jennifer, don't worry you're the second coolest mom I know) (everyone else: Jennifer is so not the second coolest mom I know, but she did make my blog her home page, so I feel obligated to throw her a bone here). And yet, Rachel went and done it. She bought a minivan just last week. And she lives in San Francisco where I thought it was pretty much illegal to own a vehicle with more than two wheels.

Which meant it was time for me to make the plunge. Time for me to turn in my pretty dashboard and to gracefully accept the title "Soccer Mom." Time to buy the minivan.

And so we did. I opted for no DVD player (I refuse to have hear on every trip to the grocery store, "Dora! I want to watch Dora now!") but I did opt for the ipod integration, which again, makes the statement, "Yes, I am a soccer mom, but one who is still cool enough to listen to the Killers even if I didn't know who Fergie was just a couple of weeks ago!"

Buying the van was absolutely painful. Service was sloooow and because we'd already test driven, we brought the kids with us to make the final purchase. I think my favorite part was sitting in the finance office with Sweetie (while Adam tried to wrangle Doodles) and the totally cliche Boston car salesman is trying to sell me every single add-on known to man. "Uh huh. Uh huh," I reply bored. "I get the point. I don't want any of it." He gives me a look and Sweetie starts to fuss. "Mind if I feed her?" I ask just to be polite, because I have every intention of feeding her no matter what he says. "Oh sure, go ahead," he says. But somehow from the shocked look on his face, I don't think he was expecting me to whip out what I did whip out. I'm guessing in his day, feedings came from a bottle. The good thing, though, is he focused on the task at hand with a renewed vigor.

Anyway, Rachel owns a minivan and now I do, too. Which leads me to one of two conclusions: 1) Maybe Rachel's not as cool as I thought she was or 2) (my preferred conclusion) Minivans are now cool!! Yes, that's the story I'm telling myself and I'm sticking to it. It's the only happy way to explain the Ocean Mist atrocity sitting in my driveway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Roni said...

Thank goodness that we just bought the car, meaning giving me another 4-5 years before I have to decide about a minivan.

I do have to admit that we're taking a road trip in April and I kinda wish we did have a van. Just for the trip!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home